window weight

A quick learner from Colorado Springs says:
I have 6 windows and only one has a window channel. It has a stamp on it 2930 but when I weighed the window it is 32.2 lbs. Should I stay with the 2930 or get the 2950?
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Wow, it's unusual for a window manufacturer to be so far off. 2950 is definitely the stamp you want for a 32.2 pound sash. Did you ever find the window to be hard to open in the past?
A quick learner from Colorado Springs says:
That is just the point. I think someone else who owned the condo put those in. No wonder the shoes kept breaking and the windows were difficult to open.
A quick learner from Colorado springs says:
Now I am concerned that I may not have the right block and tackle part for my window. The shoes break so easily. Could it be that I need a 370 series shoes with a 2950 weight in stead of the 350 series, 2930 wt? The shoes look more substantial. Attached are several pictures of my frame and sash. Can you tell which window channel would work?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid your pictures came in very small, so I could not make them out. That said, I would hesitate to recommend the Series 370 channel balance. The plastic ends may seem more substantial, but they are no more strong or weak than any other balance. The same can be said for the Series 350 itself.

How exactly are the shoes breaking? If the sash was too heavy for the balance, it would definitely account for your shoes being damaged. There are some cases I can think of where the shoe would break because it wasn't the right type, but that kind of damage would be of a specific variety.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.