windows

A handy person from New York State says:
Hi,

I wonder if you can help me. My house was built in 1973 and I have no idea what brand windows are installed. The springs that help hold them up are always breaking and need replacement. They are springs ( see photos) with clips attached to them. Do you have anything similar to these? Also the clips that help hold the second outside pane break and the window falls out! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
A handy person from New York State says:
Sorry, here are some more pics of the springs and tabs to hold windows in.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Looks like you have a custom Caradco window balance system. We will need the length of the plastic tube (not counting the top and bottom nylon pieces), however in your photo it appears that the tube is badly broken. See if the balance on the other side of the window has an intact tube.

Also, check the end of the spring attached to the bottom fitting. There should be a bit of color painted on there. WE will need to know what that color is, as it indicates spring strength.

Finally, you can consider our 70-053 nylon clips to hold in your storm panels.
A handy person from greenwood lake ny says:
Okay that's great info. The only other problem is removing the window to replace the spring, or measure it. Any advice?

I will try to get the length info and color of spring. Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I believe you unhook the top nylon fitting of the balance and remove the sash along with the balance at the same time. You might also need to remove the inside trim, in some circumstances.
A home owner from Bolingbrook IL says:
I too have 'Caradco' windows and need to replace the clips holding the outer glass pane on. They are the same clips shown in the photo in the earlier post for this thread. Is the recommended 70-053 clip absolutely flush (flat) on the bottom surface? From the photo it's hard to tell. Also, is the hole large enough to accommodate a #8 screw? Would 70-210 be a good choice also?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window clip.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! The 70-053 is completely flat on the underside, yes. It's also designed to work with an 8-32 thumb screw like our 70-112, but any screw in that size would do.

If the clip being flus is important then I would not recommend the 70-210. This has a very slight offset on the bottom.

How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.