windows that won't stay up

A home owner from Castle Rock, CO 80104 says:

Hello, I have an 18 year old, custom built home, with windows that are not identified with a manufacturer name or number. Two of my south facing windows won't stay up. If opened to any height, within a few minutes they slowly slide back down to the bottom. No parts appear to be broken unless it's something I can't see. The bottom halves of the windows (i.e. the halves which slide up and down) are ~ 33" wide by 29" tall. There appears to be a roll-up spring strip anchored to the track for those windows (image 0190 & 0191) with a metal strip running along the inside of the track which then anchor to a bottom shoe designed to hold the window. The windows seem pretty sturdy and heavy so maybe the spring mechanism just can't hold them up any longer. Is this something you can help me with and do you have the parts to fix my problem? I have two side-by-side windows with the same problem. Thanks, Jim

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0187.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0188.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0190.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0191.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! If your window won't stay up anymore, then odds are the issue is the balance. These are the spring assemblies you see on either side of your frame. They lose tension over the years from frequent use and just plain old age. 

The good news is that yours are pretty common and simple to replace. You have a specific kind of assembly that uses the Series 190 spring. You'll need to get the stamp printed on your old springs to confirm the best option to go with, but I'm confident that this will work for you.

The videos below may also be of some help.

A home owner from Castle Rock, CO 80104 says:

Hello, I began an online conversation with your company last November about my windows that won't stay up due to lost spring tension and old age. See above thread if it is still active in your system. Anyway, I had sent you some pictures of my window parts and you indicated they are likely a kind of assembly that uses a Series 190 spring and that I should get the stamp number printed on the spring. I've removed the unit from the track and the only number I see stamped on the spring coil is an 8.

I would like to proceed with ordering full assembly replacement parts (shoes and footers included, if that's what they're called) for four windows both left and right sides. Can you help me proceed with that order? I attached two more photos below. thanks Jim 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window spring stamp # 8    IMG_0040.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window spring assembly IMG_0039.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello again! The other parts that go with the Series 190 are the 15-180 shoe, 15-186 support clip, and 15-182 bushing. Note that with the exception of the spring, you only need to replace what's broken and just reuse the rest. The reason you want to replace all the springs (even if only one broke) is because mixing and matching old and new springs causes the new springs to wear out faster.

All orders can be placed directly on our site at your convenience.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.