Replacement window balancers

A handy person from Tallahassee FL says:
I have 30+-year-old Gayco windows and The nylon string attached to the spring has broken on top of them.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0713.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0076.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0078.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0079.JPG
Is my corrected email address
Reference D171578
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

See our S351-35 or S390-35. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe. The Series 351 has a shoe with a 1" depth, which seems to match what you show; but it's not reliable to read pictures of measuring tape, so I'd double-check this for yourself to be safe. In either case, you'll need a stamp option of 3430.

Thanks. I plan on ordering 12 to replace all the aged balancers on my first floor. Do you have any tips for replacing the weatherstripping on the sides as well?

The top of one of the windows is beginning to fog. I can't find a video on how to remove the window to have it repaired. Do you have a link that I could watch a video and learn how to replace or remove the top window?

Thanks again, you and the website videos are very helpful.

Profile picture of Bob

For the weatherstripping, it depends how it installs; some weatherstripping is kerf-mounted, in which case it snap right in and out; others have a T-Slot base, in which case removing them can be a bit trickier. See the video below for details. Ultimately, identifying the correct weatherstripping replacements comes to the end profile dimensions. See our selection here

As far as removing the upper sash goes, if it is movable and has balances regulating its movement, you should be able to pull it down and remove it just like the lower sash. That said, if it will not pull down, then there may be nothing that you can do. In some windows, the top sash is stationary and is not meant to come out. This may be one of those times. You still may be able to replace the glass, though. If you're up to the task, you would first remove the vinyl glazing snap in that surrounds the glass, and then with our 75-052 tool or a utility knife, you'd cut away the sealant holding glass to frame. Of course you should be very careful as to not hit or damage the glass. I recommend wearing gloves. If in doubt, hire a professional. 

To be honest, before you even attempt this, I should note that fogging glass is a sign that the molding around the glass has been compromised. A local glass shop should be able to help you repair this molding, but this also is dependent on whether or not you can remove the entire sash from the window. Again, you'll want to determine this first or hire a local professional before proceeding. Hope all this helps.  

Profile picture of Bob

My pleasure. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for reaching out, we appreciate it.

Thank you so much for your assistance.
How to identify a replacement channel balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace the E.Z.D. Glazer handle
How to replace the E.Z.D. Glazer handle
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.