11 Year Old SIlverline 2900 Series Single Hung Window Balances

A quick learner from Bluffton, SC says:
I had a new home in Bluffton, SC which has Silverline 2900 Series single hung windows of various sizes. Due the heat and humidity these windows are very rarely opened except for cleaning maybe once a year.

Several windows have had (what I call) the balances release and the balances are now at the top of the window. Of course the tilt latches have broken.

There are no visible marking on the balances so I'll use your window measurement and weight to ID the appropriate balance.

However, the windows still have the bottom pivot similar to your series 795 balances on both sides. I am surprised that the balance has separated rather than having the spring corrode.

Can you help me here?

I am an engineer having built and rebuilt cars, room additions and repaired or replaced most of what needs repairing or replacement. But it surprised me when I heard a balance "break" and is now at the top of a closed window. Inspection revealed this on the 3 windows seldom opened on the sunny side of the house.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure what the issue may be. If you have a balance like our Series 795, then it's possible that the hook on the shoe that clips over the rivet (see the video below for an idea of what I mean) snapped.

That said, it is also odd to me that the shoe would fail before the balances. It's not unheard of, it certainly happens, but it's not common. 

One explanation would be that your springs aren't the proper calibration for your sash weight. If the balances aren't balancing, then there could be undue strain to that exact part of the shoe. It would be forced to withstand either more weight from a heavy sash or more pressure from a too-strong spring. To confirm this, please give me the exact weight of your sash and the stamp printed on the balance's metal channel. That will let me calculate whether or not your spring strength is right for the job.

Then again, all of what I just said is just a hypothesis. It's also possible that the plastic is poor quality and it broke because it was 11 years old. I think I'll need more data before I can say for sure. Once you get me that sash weight and stamp, I'll be in a better position to make a judgement. Photos of the hardware in question would also help. Let me know!

The sash is 21lbs weighed on the bathroom scale - me with and without the sash - twice.

The sash measures 35.5" tall X 29.375" wide.

You are correct the hook on the shoes has broken off. But the shoes appear to be die cast (metal not plastic).

The zinc plated metal slides are still in good condition. The springs are still hooked over the upper rivet. The lower rivet is still in place.

It appears replacement of the shoes is all that is needed.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4D871AB1-090F-47CB-BE2E-5222D7A468EA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 36061B37-0A48-439B-9A94-BB346DB49E85.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C7F557D2-BEF9-4169-AB47-86EFC32C518F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 84624BC8-EB8F-4DB9-B7B1-64546DBD7BC4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4873408A-DC84-4D71-A235-DB9450AEE13B.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

It looks like the S795 was originally used for your 2900 Series window. If the balance channel is still working, then the T-Lock replacement would be our 15-195 shoe. You'll need to unscrew the balance channel from the window and install the 15-195 T-Lock shoe by following our video below. The center cam of the 15-195 is die-cast, while the rest of the T-Lock shoe is nylon. If you want to replace the complete balance, we'll need to know the metal channel length. Thank you!

Thanks much. Just ordered 6 of the 15-195 T-Lock shoes. I suspect over time the T-Locks on the other windows will require replacement.

I'll advise how it goes.

Best regards,
Dave
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! Please do. I'm happy to help in any way I can if you need it.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.