1/2 inch balance spring for impact windows - 29-14 CB5 CMC (29HP44-45)

A handy person from Fort Lauderdale, Florida says:
Dear Swissco,

I am looking for 6 replacement 1/2 inch Balance Springs for hurricane impact windows with a balance sprint model number of 29-14 CB5 CMC (29HP44-45). Please let me know if you carry this model and the cost for 6.

Also if you have instructions on how to replace a balance sprint on impact windows that would be super helpful.

Thank you, Glenn
channel balance stamps
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Glenn. This code doesn't tell us what to recommend for you. It's possible that 29-14 means you have a 30" metal channel and a 14 pound sash. You'd need to measure the metal by itself, and remove and weigh the window sash, to confirm. Then, you can use the channel balance guide to compare your end pieces and choose a Series to match. Once you have the Series and length pinned down, the webpage for the product contains a chart that tells you which "option" to choose, based on your sash weight.

A handy person from Fort Lauderdale, Florida says:
Photos
User submitted photos of a window balance.
A quick learner from Fort Lauderdale, Florida says:
Dear Ben,

As a follow up response to your questions from Dec 6, 2017, I pulled out the window and measured the metal, it
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for getting back to us. It looks like your balance will have to be specially made. I believe yours uses a 19-041 top attachment and 15-005 bottom. Look these over and tell me if you agree. I would also like you to confirm the exact weight of the sash. Your stamp is a little unique. I believe it should be around 42 through 45 pounds, but since specially made balances can't be returned I just want to be 100% sure. Finally, how many did you need?

Once I know this information, I will email you a special balance order link and price quote.
A quick learner from Fort Lauderdale says:
Dear Swissco, I still need to replace 8 springs in my windows (for 4 windows). I don't see a weight printed on the spring. Where would this information be located? Would there be an issue with just using a higher weight, like 45 pounds? Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You don't want to use a spring strength that's higher than the weight of the sash, no. The way balances work is to provide constant upward force to counter-balance the constant downward force on the window panel, provided by gravity. If the upward force is higher than the downward force, then the window will be much more difficult to close. It could even drift open on its own.

You need a balance that is calibrated to your exact sash weight. Now, the exact weight isn't going to be stamped on the metal channel. Instead it will be a code that represents a specific calibration that we're often able to translate into more literal terms.

If your balance lacks any stamp at all, then you need to get the precise weight of your sash and tell us that, instead.

How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify a replacement channel balance
How to identify a replacement channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.