1/2" non-tilt balance, 24 5 metal stamp, PAT 6598264 stamped on plastic shoe, metal clip at VERY BOTTOM

A home owner from 91311 says:

My non-tilt jeldwen window use two balances. It has a different shoe than any I see on Swisco, in that the metal clip is at the VERY BOTTOM of the shoe. Swisco's balances all seem to have the metal clip above the shoe.

Also note, the balance I'm replacing (shown in photos) has "25 4" stamped on the metal, but my window weighs 10-15 pnds.

My balance's measurements:

• balance metal top end to bottom end: 25.5"
  • balance metal top end to top of bottom metal clip: 26.25" (my clip is about 1 3/8" further down than would be the case if the metal clip sat just above the two bottom rivets like Swisco's other balances)
  • Shoe depth: 1 1/16"
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 25 4 balance stamp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance_top.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottom_1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottom_2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottom_3.jpg

I have a jeldwen non-tilt vinyl window, and need balances for it. It's the only window of its size in my home.

Here's the measurements I have for the window and for the frame:

WINDOW

7.5 lbs

21 5/8" wide

17" tall

Window total side width (depth) 1.25"

Window side inset groove 6/8"

Window side inset raised ridge 1/8" at back of inset

FRAME

Inset where window goes into: 1.25" wide

Distance from top of take out clip to bottom of metal clip groove: 12"

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1-window_dims.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2-frame_clips.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3-frame_12-ins.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4-side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5-dims.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Take a look at an older customer discussion here where we recommended our 18-188 top sash guide as a replacement for yours. Just be sure to compare the dimensions on our product page to your existing hardware to confirm. The take out clip would be our 16-002 if you need those as well. 

As for your balances, we can replace them but it will need to be a special order since we do not carry them as stock items. Since there seems to be a discrepancy between the stamp in your title and your actual inquiry, we'd appreciate it if you could confirm the stamp on your balance is 25 4 and the overall length is 25-5/8". Once we have that sorted out, we can make a special order link with pricing for you. Thank you!

I am confirming that the stamp on my master-bedroom's window balance says 25 4. The length of the metal portion only is 25-5/8".

Note that I inquired about two separate windows. The first one is larger, and is for my master bedroom, I have the old balance. The second smaller one is for my laundry room, and I do not have the balances for it.

Please give me separate price estimates for the two windows. The smaller laundry room window is my top priority right now, because it must be repaired for an upcoming inspection.

Please also state time frame, how long it will take to do the custom order. I need it for a deadline. Thanks.

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. I went into our warehouse and there will be no lead time for the 25 4 balances you show in your photos. In will send you a separate email with a link to order two of these balances. As for the other window with the missing balances, we'll need to do some more investigating to figure out what you need and if we have them in stock. 

First, please confirm that these are identical windows made by the same manufacturer other than the size. 

Next, go to the window with the balances we've identified from your pictures and measure the height of the visible glass in the sash. 

Then, do the same thing for the window that is missing its balances. If we can make a connection between the size of your window with balances and the length of the balance that's currently installed, we should be able to make infer the size of the balance needed for your smaller window. 

We'll also need the weight of the sash for your smaller window to determine the strength that the spring needs to keep the sash raised. 

With this information, we should be able to infer the size that you need and if there will be a lead time associated with those balances. Keep in mind that since the balances are missing, there is a margin for error and we can't guarantee that you won't run into unforeseen problems when installing new balances. If you'd like, I can send you a custom order link today for the balances we've identified, or e can wait to figure out your second balances and I can send over links for all of the balances you need. Please let me know how you'd like to proceed. 

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.