17lb window springs needed

A home owner from New York says:
Hi, can you please let me know what's the right part to buy to replace this?
Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-17 13.50.37.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-17 13.51.34.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-17 13.52.09.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-17 13.52.39.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's tough to tell from these photos. Would it be possible to see a clear picture of the pivot shoe itself? That will tell me for sure what you need. Thank you!

Thanks Tom, do these pictures help? I can get the complete set if it's better because I am not sure if I can replace just the spring/tensioner?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-18 14.49.11.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-18 14.47.59.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-18 14.46.41.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-18 14.46.16.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-18 14.46.08.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! That looks like our 15-177 shoe, which is designed to be used with the Series 152 spring. Your old cover isn't made anymore, but you can reuse it as long as it's in good condition.

Thank you. What about the top part where it screws on top, I guess that's the cover you are referring to. I can remove it and see what it looks like behind it. I need to cut the track, do you recommend cutting the track close to the cover near top of the bottom window track?
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, that part that screws in is the cover. If it can't be reused, let me know and I can try to find something else that will work for you.

As for making a cutout, we recommend doing so at the top of the track. The general rule for the bottom sash is that you don't want the shoe to accidentally fall out of the cutout during the window's normal operation, so the top of the track is usually the safest place.

Thank you, I was able to cut the track and remove the cover (I never thought it was a thin piece of cover, I thought it was something like a cartridge).

Here are the pictures, I hope you can offer a direct replacement.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Untitled.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.01.01.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.00.43.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.00.19.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.00.09.jpg
Also, sorry I forgot to ask, when I am ordering the spring, do I order the lbs by half of the weight of the window? If 16 or 17lbs, do I order 8lbs?

PS: Here is the width of the spring, I forgot to attach.
And the shoe, so maybe I need to replace all 3 in case the coil won't fit in my existing cover?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.33.58.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.33.30.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.33.13.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2020-12-21 17.14.17.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Since your cover isn't made anymore, you'll have to use a somewhat more modern replacement. See our 15-143 bushing, 15-144 bushing cap, and 15-145 support barrel. These three pieces sort of "sandwich" over the spring and keep it stable in the track. in that sense, they really do work more like a cartridge than a cover, but the effect is the same.

As for sash weight to spring stamp, you want to divide the weight of the window between how many coil springs support it in total. So if you only have 1 spring per side, then you want to divide the sash weight by 2. Note that this rule of thumb is only applicable for coil balances; if you have any other type of window balance in your house, then you don't want to follow that rule.

A quick learner from New York says:
Thank you Tom and Happy Holidays.
Do you have an illustration how to install the bushing/cover/barrel? I suppose the coil needs to be on the inside edge not outside of the track, so it's not visible, right?

I also need vent locks and the side release latches (if that's what they are called) attaching few more pictures. We are lucky these lasted about 10 years.. :) Can I use 26-122 but can't find matching side release latches.

I also attached my cart so far, please let me know if I forgot anything to get 2 windows (total 4 shoes/covers/coil)

Thanks again.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 11.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

We did carry your vent latch at one time, but it was recently discontinued. Our hope is that it will be made available to us again in the near future, but at this point I don't know when that will be, should that day ever even come. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Please understand that this was a very recent development so we don't have any known substitutes at this time.

The tilt latch is another matter. We definitely have this. Just eyeballing your measurements, I'd say our 26-120 and 26-121 look close, but I recommend checking our dimensions to confirm. 

Finally, we don't have an illustration on those balance covers. A tutorial video is definitely a possibility in the future, but due to the quarantine our ability to film is limited. I'll definitely recommend it to our video team once things return to normal.

A quick learner from New York says:
Thanks Tom, I will go with your description and try to fit one first to see how it goes. Regarding the vent latch, I will buy few 26-122 and try those, they seem very similar, except where they secure to the inside of the frame and they are reasonably priced. Will work on this delivery estimate is mid-Jan so I'll circle back and report. :)
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good! I'd love to hear how it worked out. Thank you very much for your business, of course, and I hope you have a great new year!

A quick learner says:
Hi Tom
I received my order, I ended up buying more than I needed in case other windows fail too, but it seems like I can't get the coil to stay on the shoe. I thought coils were supposed to go into notches in the shoes, but it seems like there is no way to secure the coil to shoe, there is a hole on the coil, is it supposed to be screwed or do I need to bend the coil to stay in the shoe?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. The coil spring does need to be screwed into the 15-177, yes. There's a little hole on the side of the shoe where you can put the screw. Something like our 33-072 will do it, or anything of the same size you have laying around.

A quick learner says:
Thank you Tom, is there a picture of what it would look like after the coil is screwed, I'll tackle this on Saturday. Thanks again.
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I actually just had a customer earlier this morning who was looking for the same hardware. I'll use one of the photos they submitted to me, since it shows how the spring attaches to the shoe fairly well.

swisco.com
A home owner says:
Thanks for the picture, looks like it's very important for head to fit there snugly so that shoe can move up and down without rubbing on the channel. I am sure I have some spare #8 screws in 3/8" size, but just to be safe I'll grab a few extra ones from h/w store and try those.

Is the coil normally mounted on the interior side of he channel so when window opens, coil is not visible?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm not sure I understand that question. These are typically installed in the window track below the tilt latch, or at least the position the tilt latch would take when the window is fully closed. If it's any higher than that, then the tilt latch will interfere with the spring and it wouldn't extend properly.

A home owner says:
I am sorry I made you confused. I realize I didn't have correct mental picture.

Before sliding shoe down, should the coil be visible or not, meaning coil needs to go towards inside, not outside?

When we slide the pivot shoe down after installation are we supposed to be seeing the coil, because in the video posted, it shows coil visible before removal (against outside edge) 1:11 mark in below video- but after installing new one, coil is not visible (sitting against inner edge). 3:44 mark in below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtnVKYTPc-4

Or it doesn't matter which edge coil is resting?
Profile picture of Tom

Ohhhhh, I understand now. Thank you so much for clarifying. You don't have to worry about that, it doesn't really matter which side of the pivot shoe your spring is on in my experience.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.