18 in Channel Balancer

A quick learner from Modesto, CA says:

Need to order 2 channel balancers for one window the markings on them (17 4 DS CALDWELL) attached are 10 pictures measuring 18in each. Please let me know which ones I need to order. Thanks James

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2Markings02.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3LeftSide03.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6RightMeasurement06.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9RightSide09.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8LeftSide08.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

With this combination of attachments, you could have either an S380-18 or S385-18 channel balance. You’ll need to measure as shown below. The Series 380 has a 1" bottom attachment, and the Series 385 has a 1-3/32" attachment. You'll also need 1740 spring strength options for your replacement balances.

Thank you and let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Hi Casey,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I'm trying to measure the correct way on the bottom attachment but keep coming up with 1" 3/16. Am I supposed to measure from the concave area to the end or from the furthest points on the attachment (where the wings stick out)? I've attached 2 pictures and hopefully they help. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Best Regards,
James
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220923_144948.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220923_145028.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

As long as the depth is over 1", which appears to be the case based on your photos, then you would need the S385-18 channel balance. Thank you!

Hi Casey, thank you for your expertise I just ordered 2 S385-18 1720. Sincerely, James :)
Profile picture of Casey

We're happy to help but your original balances were stamped with 17 4, which is why we recommended a 1740 strength option to support a sash between 14 and 17 lbs. The 1720 option that you chose will only support between 8 and 12 lbs, which would not work for your window based on your original balance stamp. 

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.