2-Panel Sliding Shower Doors

A home owner from Mill Valley, California says:

Our house was built in early 1970s and still has the original shower. We plan to remodel the bathroom in a couple of years. In the meantime, I would like to address one problem with the 2-panel sliding shower doors.

As the photos show there is an aluminium bottom track with 2 channels. overall width of the track is approx.2" with each channel a bit less than 7/8" each. The shower doors are 1/4" thick hanging from the top track but flopping in the bottom channels. (I replaced the rollers so the doors slide fine.)

Can I use your bottom guide 10-127 for the doors? Some other hardware?

Aside from the weep holes in the two verticals of the channel (on the shower side) there are no other visible holes in the track. If needed, I can drill new holes in the track - I am handy with power tools

I will appreciate your early response. - Thanks, Deepak

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I see what you mean. It looks like you only have that center rail to keep the doors stable, and that's clearly not enough. My mind immediately went to guides like our 10-122 or 10-119, but I'm not sure if this will work. As you can see on this old discussion, it's meant to go dead center on the shower door frame and cradle both doors at once. That center rail on your frame will get in the way.

I also don't think the 10-127 will work. I don't personally have a lot of experience with this guide, but I do know it works in different kind of rail setup than what you have now. Specifically, it requires that your bottom shower door have a frame, and on the bottom of that frame there needs to be a thin strip that actually is what inserts into the 10-127. You can see a good example on this old discussion.

Could you use guides like the 10-122 or 10-119 and position them in such a way that they'll cradle your doors, but not cross over that center rail? That may be your best bet. Look them over and see what you think.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.