2003 Kolbe double hung windows replacement balance kit

A home owner from West Chester, PA says:

Hi,

I bought an entire house of Kolbe double hung windows in 2001 ($15,000) and found that 12 of them needed repair to the balance systems a few years later. Kolbe discontinued the balance kit that my windows came with and in 2003 provided a new replacement balance kit.

I am finding that more of my windows need repair. The dealer has provided this photo of what the parts look like.

He said the plastic jamliner will probably break when I try to replace these parts. He recomends that I special order the replacement balance kit from Kolbe, around 200 per window! Help! Is that likely the way to fix these windows? They are very dangerous...like a loaded gun that can go off when you least expect it. They would smash any fingers that happened to be in the way.

Please call to discuss, anytime!

Ruth

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Ruth. I understand your consternation. Fortunately, I do think we can replace these channel balances. I believe this is likely a Series 751 balance, but with a 15-197 Shoe attached on bottom rather than the one our standard versions of this balance use (the 15-014). We'd be happy to build these for you via custom order. I just need a little more information to get started:

• For each set of balances, what is the length of the metal channel?
  • What stamp codes are on the metal channels?
  • Just to be safe, can you show me a picture of the end profile of the balance? I'm pretty sure it will be ribbed, rather than plain, as the pictures here show. But I want to be safe. 

Finally, assuming this is a ribbed channel balance, the video below shows how to remove and replace them. If you're up for it, and assuming the jamb liners aren't already damaged, I think you can remove and replace these without damaging the jamb liners themselves. If in doubt, hire a local pro to do that job. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.