25" Block & Tackle Sash Balance

A home owner from Sammamish, WA says:
I have 4 Weathervane windows each with two 25" Block & Tackle Balances. One balance is located on the left side of the bottom sash, inside a channel in the sash and the other balance is located on the right side of the bottom sash, inside a channel in the sash. The metal balance measures 25". The balances are stamped 24 D. The side with the stamp measures 1/2". I think I would order Series 385 (S385-25) but not sure of the option. I don't have a way to weigh the balances. Two of the windows still have the balances intact (but the windows don't open/close smoothly) and the balances in the other two windows "sprung" out of the windows. Inside the casement, there are two clips - one of each side of the casement. One of the clips came out & I would need to replace.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2348 - Copy.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2348.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2349.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2350.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2362[1].JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

Thanks for reaching out to us. I believe we can help with this but it will have to be a custom order due to the configuration. I'm thinking you have the 19-038 top and 15-193 bottom fitting. The bottom fitting is damaged so can you confirm that the 15-193 is indeed what you have? You may want to check an undamaged version to be safe. 

As for the take-out clip, can you remove it from the jamb and show us?

Best guess, the Bottom fitting is 15-193.
I can't take the clip out. I've attached a picture showing it in open position. From the top opening to the bottom opening is about 2 3/4 ". Hopefully, you can enlarge the picture to show the size/configuration.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2373.JPG
Profile picture of Emily

I'd be happy to confirm if the 15-193 is what you have if you could upload a photo of an undamaged version. As for the take-out clip, see if the specifications of the 16-002 match what you need. 

What I will do now is email you a purchase link and price quote for (2) 25" long balances with the 19-038 top and 15-193 bottom fitting as well as a 2440 stamp. A pair of balances with this stamp will support a sash weighing 19 to 24 pounds. 

Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to change the quantity and I'd be happy to help! 

Could you please update your Quote 1868 to include one take out clip #16-002??

We'll not really know if your parts will work for my application, but we'll never know until we get the actual parts. Thank you for being so quick to respond to my request - Swisco is an amazing resource!

Regards,

Kathleen 

Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid I can't add the take-out clip to your order link so don't forget to add the 16-002 to your cart separately! 

It was my pleasure to help, Kathleen. We truly appreciate your kind words. Good luck with the repair!

Hello, I just rec'd two balance parts. New part is on the left side of pictures. The new part has two "wings" just below the opening; my part doesn't. I don't think this will be an issue. The concern is the balance in the picture in the right. 

The clip is wider than my clip & it points towards the outside of the balance, whereas the clip in my part points toward the inside. I'm not sure how these clips actually work when inside the window. Do you have a clip that would better resemble the clip in my part? I understand the balance is all assembled & so I would pay for an entire new part (two). 

BTW, the two balance parts were very well protected with air-packing material & bubble wrap that protected both ends of the parts. Regards, Kathleen

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Clip.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Plastic part.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

While our balance does have slightly different details compared to your original, I don't think it will be an issue. Regarding the extra tabs in the top fitting, the manufacturer added them to give it a little more strength. It won't affect function.

As for the hook, ours is oriented properly. The hook should be facing down so that you can hook it into the hole in the jamb and push it straight down. I see no reason why it shouldn't function the same as your original.

How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.