31 inches versus 32 inches.

A quick learner from San Diego says:

Hi there,

The stamp is marked 31 inches, but when I measure the metal channel, it is exactly 32 inches. Should I get the 32 inch balance? Also, i have attached the stamp on the balance. Can you decipher this for the weight?

Thank you,

Louis

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash balance stamp.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Louis. A few things. First, the first two digits on that stamp actually refer to the height of visible glass in the window, not the balance length. The visible glass height in a window that uses non-tilt window channel balances is usually 1" less than the metal channel length. Therefore, a 32" balance does make sense for a balance with a stamp starting with '31'. Second, if you need to identify the balance Series, please send us pictures of the nylon fittings and we'll do our best to confirm it for you. 

Thank you for confirming the 32 inches. I have attached two photos of the nylon string mechanism. If you can determine the series, I will weigh the window and would like to order two balances. Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Louis

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named nylon string 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named nylon string 3.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Louis. We're getting there. I also need to see the fitting on the other end of the metal channel. Both are needed to identify the series. From there I will promptly do this for you. 

Thanks for the quick response. Here are pictures of the other end of the balancer. Hopefully this will help in determining the series. Thank you once again for your help.

Regards,

Louis

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balancer end 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balancer end 3.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Perfect, thanks. See our S380-32 or S385-32 Channel Balances. The only difference between these two balances is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, or 'heel-to-toe' measurement. See the image below. Compare your old balance to both options to see which you need. In either case you'll need to choose a stamp option. It looks like your old balance was stamped 31-3, so go with 3130. 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.