3240 BSI VB Replacements

A quick learner from Los Angeles says:
As you can see in the photo, my apartment's window sashes gave out I slammed down too hard one time, a handyman did an off the cuff repair which also failed over time.
Would like to get the right sashes and have them put in, I think the window is otherwise in fine shape.

3240 BSI VB, measured about 1/2" wide and 33" long.
Had the little white plastic "hats" on top of each side sash before they broke off.

Location, Los Angeles, CA in an old building.

Will greatly appreciate your help, and I'm sure my landlord will too if in the future the other units need new sashes she will know where to go if this works out!

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211209_050530494_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211216_022019451_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211216_022044421_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211216_022049375_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211216_022125239_iOS.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Take a look and compare an undamaged balance to the S380-33 or S385-33 channel balance. You’ll need to measure as shown below. The Series 380 has a 1" bottom attachment, and the Series 385 has a 1-3/32" attachment. You'll also need 3240 spring strength options for your replacement balances.

Thank you and let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Thanks!I measured and it seems I should look at the S385.
For the TOP SASH GUIDE, I looked at the broken ones, it most resembles this model:

https://www.swisco.com/replacement-sash-guide/pd/Top-Sash-Channel-Balance-Guides/18-033

Is this compatible with the S385?
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, we can't confirm which type of top sash guide will work for you based on the balances. If you're not sure if the 18-033 is an exact match, please show us a photo of your guide removed from the window, along with written-out dimensions, and we'd be happy to research that part for you as well. 

It measures 33" long, and the bottom shoe is more than 1", probably 1" 3/32.
Visually it looks most like the S371-33 model on this website, it has the holes on the metal channel in the same arrangement as you can see below, I uploaded a full length picture.

If it is a S371-33, do I need additional top guides?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220112_224157452_iOS.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Your balances appear to be missing the top guide, which is shown in the brown paper bag in the last photo of your original response. Assuming they go to the balances your replacing, you would need the S385 as long as the depth of the show is more than 1". 

As for your top sash guides, we would still need to see an undamaged one removed from one of your windows, along with dimensions. Unfortunately, identifying the balance does not tell us which guide you need. 

1. Here is a picture of the top guide from various angles. A bottom portion of it is broken off and I think attached to the window itself, so this top guide probably has the extended bottom like the 18-033 looks like.

2. Why would it be the S385 model if the hole punches in the metal section resemble the S371? I'm guessing these sashes are somewhat interoperable?

As usual, thank you for helping so I get the right parts.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220113_183917777_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220113_183929932_iOS.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220113_183937823_iOS.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
I agree that as long as the dimensions of an undamaged guide match up to the 18-033, that would be the best replacement option for your window.
As for your concern about the top attachment, the fitting that I've circled in your photo below is a match to the 19-005 used by both the S380- and S385 channel balances, not the S371. The holes in the metal channel are not used to identify the balance, which is based on the fittings attached to both ends. This is what makes me confident that the S385 would be the better replacement option.

Ah I see! Thank you for clarifying, I guess the metal holes are not identifiers then. It could be that the handyman just used those top guides for the 'repair'. I can't remember if they're original.

Here are more photos of the window and the jerry-rigged repair if this helps. Note the screwing of the top guide at an angle.. Will need to remove that when I put new sashes in.

If these don't help narrow it down, I may go with your suggestion and worst case I'll need to return the sashes if they don't work.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220114_193555757_iOS.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, we can't be sure of what you need without an undamaged guide to use as a reference but I think the parts that we've discussed so far are a good place to start. If you decide to order them and run into any issues, our return policy can be viewed here

Well I tried with the 380s, no luck so far.
After I install the new balances, and I try putting the sash back and it doesn't catch securely on both sides, does that mean the shoes are not wide enough?

And do I *need* the top guide stop for functionality or is it just to prevent over lifting the window, not much luck with the guide stops I also ordered.
^Amending my commend earlier today 2/3/2022 with a positive result!

I actually modified one of the top sash guides to work (removed some plastic so the sash + 2 guides fit in the openings), and voila now I have a functional window.

I did apply too much force at one point and the top balance guide of my left channel balance broke! For now it is ok, not sure if it's hard or worth it to replace so the metal does not touch the metal of the left channel. I ordered extra top guides, rivets, and the tool, but not spare channel guides... didn't expect of all things I'd break one of them.

Thank you again for the attentive and helpful feedback Casey, it is truly appreciated.
Profile picture of Casey

I'm happy to hear that the project is coming together. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.