3/8 tube spiral balance

A handy person from Marco Island Florida says:
Single hung window. 3/8 dia.
Can you determine what replacement i need?
Follow up info on initial question.
It is a non tilt, single hung window, red tip, 29 inch length, 3/8 diameter, original metal (aluminum ?) window. I believe it is from 1985.

Also, I can't figure out how to remove the sash to do a replacement.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's hard to tell what you have from this photo. Could you show us a clear picture of the end of the spiral tip at the bottom? I can see it in your first photo, but it's still too unclear to make out. Please use an undamaged version of this balance for your photo, just in case anything is broken off of the balance you need. Every detail is important.

As for removing the sash, there's a good chance you can't remove yours. Some older aluminum windows are made so that they cannot be repaired. It's annoying, I know, but we have ways around it. Let's identify the balance first and then we can work from there.

Hope this is ok
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks! This looks like it will be our Series 400 spiral balance. This makes things easier. Maybe not easy, but definitely easier.

Like we said before, there's a good chance your sash won't be removable. However, we do have a possible solution.

With someone helping you, you will need to drop the new balance in from the top of the sash, screw it in at the top, then let the spiral drop down. You will then raise the sash and, while someone holds the sash in the open position, spin the spiral up to the bottom of the sash. Finally, with our 75-004 tool, give the balance about three turns to charge it and lock it to the end into the sash clip.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.