82-240 broken

Home Owner from Fremont, CA
Mar 9, 2020 12:47 am

Hello,

I have a problem with my patio door latch. The lever (Product Code: 82-240) has broke off with split part of the shaft stuck inside the Mortise latch. I tried taking it out with narrow pliers but couldn't. The easy solution would be to replace the whole Mortise latch. However, by looking at the door it seems that the latch is covered with white plastic similar, if not the same as on one of your customer's pictures (see attached). Is there any way to replace the latch in this case? Or is there any way to extract the broken shaft of the lever out of the latch? My door handle/latch is exactly the same as on the picture but white color. On the back of the handle it says Made in New Zealand.

Thank you,

Igor

image image
2 user uploaded images
1 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 10, 2020 12:07 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hey, Igor. I've seen this kind of setup before. Believe it or not, I believe the whole side of your door frame is a detachable cover. You should be able to snap that off to expose the screws that will allow you to replace your mortise lock.

I do agree that the mortise is the problem. When your thumb lever breaks like that, it's usually because some mechanism has locked up or frozen in the mortise itself. Replacing it should solve the problem. Yours looks like our 82-268B, but you should remove it first just to confirm.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts