9lb Quick Tilt Balance

A quick learner from Fairfax, VA says:
My niece has a sash that does not stay up.

The windows are about 5 years old.

The coil spring appears to have 'escaped' from the 9lb Quick Tilt Balance.

Unsure what "series" (i.e 140 series) is needed.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211227_141613.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211227_141553.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211227_141527.jpg
I believe this is the "best" customer service website I've ever come across.

I can be reached anytime at 609-477-5739 (Gary) and assuming you have the parts I need I would like to place the order immediately as I am visiting my niece in Fairfax,, VA (FROM MY HOME TOWN DELRAN, NJ) for the holiday.
I sent 3 photos with the above inquiry and added some details to that post.
Just called and you guys were "busy saving the world" (the person who had that idea should be given a raise and a day off) and couldn't get to my call.

My world revolves around making my 16 old niece smile (thus assuring my ranking as her favorite Uncle) and it sure would advance my cause if I could get her window sash to stay up before I return to Delran in a couple days.

I'll try calling again a little later. Thanks in advance for anything you can do to help.

Gary
609 -477- 5739
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi there. Thanks for the very kind words. It does appear you need a new coil balance system. However I do not believe this is the Series 140 system. The only way to know for sure is to remove the old assembly and show us. We especially need to see the pivot shoe. The identity of the pivot shoe will tell us the identity of the coil springs you need. The video below has some general principles that can help with this process. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm assuming that the coil on the right that appears to have "escaped" to take up residence in the window jam is related to some "event" that also resulted in the small crack in the bottom right corner of the sash.
I was curious enough to use a flashlight to confirm that the quick tilt on the left certainly appears to have a coil that is missing from the quick tilt on the right.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211228_225134.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211228_225030.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211228_200911.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. This looks an older version of our 15-087 Pivot Shoe, which uses Series 180 Coil Balances. The cam that accepts the pivot bar is a little different; see if your pivot bar matches something like our 26-422. Removing it from the window would be best to confirm this. 

I'm afraid I can't tell in your photos how many coil springs are per side, but if you give me the exact weight of the window sash, I can calculate exactly the spring weights you need. This can be done by placing the sash on a bathroom scale. 

Finally, it does appear the bottom of the sash frame is cracked. Unfortunately we cannot replace this. A local hardware store or professional may be able to assist. Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Trying to view and respond but links embedded in email are dead
I'm hoping you find these photos more helpful in determining the correct pivot shoe, housing and number of coils.

In regards to the number of coils, I've included an enlarged photo of the coil spring that I discovered wedged in the right window jam. The photo's that I sent previously of both the right coil housing pivot (obviously missing the coil spring that I discovered wedged at the top of the lower sash jam) and the left coil housing pivot were illuminated and provided enough transparency to allow a comparison that confirmed the left housing pivot does in fact have a coil spring that the right is missing AND BOTH APPEAR TO HAVE AN ADDITIONAL COIL SPRING LOCATED BENEATH. THE PHOTOS CLEARLY REVEAL A CIRCULAR OBJECT. IF THERE ARE NO OTHER OPAQUE CIRCULAR PARTS LOCATED IN THAT HOUSING BENEATH THE COIL SPRING LOCATED AT THE TOP, I WOULD IMAGINE THAT WHAT LOOKS LIKE A SECOND COIL SPRING IS A SECOND COIL SPRING! I CAN SAY WITH CERTAINTY THAT SPACE IS NOT EMPTY AND DOES IN FACT CONTAIN A SECOND CIRCULAR OBJECT RESEMBLING THE TOP COIL SPRING.
I obviously lack any prior experience in identifying these parts but I would guess that my next question would be: If the number 9 indicates a weight rating of 9 lbs, DO COIL HOUSING PIVOTS WITH A 9LB RATING TYPICALLY HAVE A SECOND COIL LOCATED IN A COIL HOUSING PIVOT THAT IS SIMILAR IN SIZE TO THE ONES IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS THAT I SENT TO YOU?

I would have included the weight of the sash if I were still in Fairfax visiting my niece.

I'm back in Jersey, but will be returning to Fairfax some time this month and would like to have the parts with me when I do return.

If the sash weight is required I'll figure something out to get it to you.

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211228_201012.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211228_225030.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211228_195614 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211228_225134.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Happy new year to you as well! Sorry, I should have clarified. You see, the stamps on the housing for this particularly balance system is usually not a reliable indicator of the coil springs needed. While this is the case for a few of our springs, like the Series 140, with the vast majority of coil balance Series, the weight can only be deduced in two ways: from a stamp on the coil spring itself, typically near the tongue, or the sash weight. Since many coils don't have clear stamps, the exact sash weigh is often the only way to go. If you can indeed give the exact sash weight, I can tell you precisely the spring weights and how many of each coil you need. 

A final point I should make is that the number of springs on each side isn't as important as the spring weights used, or the amount of weight the coils are meant to support. In some cases in fact, you may wind up using fewer coil springs per side than you did before, if your replacements support more weight. For instance, you could replace two of the S180-3 3 pound springs with a single S180-6 6 pound spring. Hope this makes sense. 

I'll get that sashed weighed and get back to you.

Einstein would have been envious of the breath, scope and level of expertise you've so easily demonstrated.

I'm serious.

Einstein used to hang out at the local hardware store, trading on his renowned and engaging the local "tradesmen" in lively conversation.

He was always enthralled and even a little envious when the simplest of tasks was explained.

He was child like with a constant sense of awl when trying to imagine what it was like to use your hands and "make stuff work."

The gift of a tradesmen to "do stuff in the real world" should never be taken for granted - don't take my word, Einstein says so.

You sir, are a tradesman.
Thanks Again.
17.2 lbs
That's the weight of the sash
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. A window that weighs 17.2 pounds should be able to use the S180-9 9 pound springs. Use just one on each side of the sash. That will total 18 pounds of support overall--being within 1 pound of the actual sash weight should work fine. This also means you're going to be using fewer coil springs than you used to--your sash was probably using a pair of 4 lb and 5 lb springs per side, or some other similar combination to yield the same overall support weight. Therefore you also wouldn't need the 15-086 Tandem Assembly; just the 15-087 shoe on each side, with the spring inside the shoe. See the diagram below. 

Thank you for the very kind words! I'm not sure if I'd dazzle Einstein with my explanations but it's nice to know they're helpful all the same. Let me know if you have further questions! 

Detail of 15-086
Detail of 15-086
Can you tell me what parts to order? So far as I can tell I need the 15-087 and the S 180-9.

Can I buy the spring pre-loaded in the housing or is that something I can do myself?
-
Do I really "need" replace both sides?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid we don't sell the 15-087 with the spring pre-loaded, but it's very simple to do yourself. The 15-087 just snaps apart and then snaps back together. 

You do need to replace both sides, yes. Springs lose a bit of their tension over years of constant use, so mixing old and new springs will lead to uneven support, since one side will be a little weaker than the other. It may not seem like it's weak enough to notice at first, but you will in time. This will also lead the new springs to wear out faster since they have to pick up the slack for their weaker partner.

OK THEN. WELL I'M KINDA DISAPPOINTED TO ARRIVE AT THE FINISH LINE, knowing that I'm not likely to come across the level of service, professionalism and expertise in any other endeavor anytime soon.

Hey Swisco Team- I'm sure you realize how rare it is to encounter an organization that has achieved the level of operational excellence that I've had the opportunity to enjoy as you've schooled me, trained me and put up with me.

Operational integrity on the level that I've enjoyed DOESN'T HAPPEN BY ACCIDENT BUT USUALLY BEGINS WITH SOUND PRINCIPLES AND CLEAR OBJECTIVES FROM A VERY GOOD MANAGEMENT TEAM.

IF YOUR INTENT IS TO DISTINGUISH YOUR ORGANIZATION AND EARN THE HIGHEST DEGREE OF CUSTOMER LOYALTY - YOU GUYS HAVE SUCCEEDED!

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.