Alcan balance rod assistance

A handy person from Bradenton Fl says:
As close as I can tell this is an ALCAN balance rod part number 3420. I can also barely make out the letter J and possibly a 7. Metal portion of the rod is 35 inches long.
Thank you for taking a look at this.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4882.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4885-Enhanced.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4886.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4897.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4898.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Depending on the 'depth' measurement of your bottom balance shoe will determine whether our S380-35 or S385-35 channel balance would be a good replacement. Whichever one chosen will use a 3420 option. 

Looks like the S380-5 will work except the bottom guide does not have the wings. As you can see, without the wings it measures just under 1 inch. I suppose if I had to I could trim them off.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15826619766835540786152537528529.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15826620371608619302946399687691.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

My apologies. I must have overlooked that very important detail. Take a look at our S395-35 balance. This comes assembled with a 19-005 balance top and 15-001 bottom balance shoe. This looks like it will make a better match. You can still go with the 3420 option. 

Still not sure the bottom shoe will work. The depth on the ones I have are closer to 7/8. The 15-001 says it is 1 1/8.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for clarifying. We do sell the 15-029 shoe, which is 7/8" in depth. We can supply a balance with this shoe but it would have to be a custom order.

It's important to note that custom made balances cannot be returned for a refund. I would check another window that has identical balances, ideally one that isn't used as often. Check the shoes on that balance to see if they're the same depth. This is to make sure that your 7/8" deep shoes aren't just worn down from friction over time and from use. It happens sometimes.

Otherwise, we can just send you a 35" long balance with a 19-005 top and 15-029 bottom. We'd also use a 3420 stamp option, of course. If that sounds good to you, let me know how many you need and I can email you an order link and price quote for that quantity.

Decided to go with the S380-35. They work just fine. Only issue is on the last window one clip on one side will not stay in to disengage the channel balance. I have gone thru 3 clips. The round part on the bottom of the clip keeps popping out. Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation?
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that our S380-35 works. As for the take out clip issue, I'm not sure why that might be. If you've been through three clips already then the problem likely isn't with the clip. If it hasn't happened on any other windows, then it probably isn't the balance, either. 

That leaves us with few other explanations. I suspect there may be some damage to your window frame or jamb that may be causing the clip to fail. I recommend carefully examining where the clip installs to see if you can find any chips, cracks, or anything else that may be interfering with its function.

Had to place a small screw where the clip goes. Once I did that I was able to get the channel balance to pop out like it was supposed to.
Thanks for all the help.
Profile picture of Tom

Oh, great! Glad you were able to find a solution. That's very clever.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.