Alside Sheffield Double Hung Window Double Coil Balance

A quick learner from Ohio says:
Need replacement part for Alside Sheffield Double Hung Window. Photo shows that metal pivot shoe is broken and plastic top piece is broken.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Alside Sheffield Window Spring 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Alside Sheffield Window Spring.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your shoe looks like a match for our 15-177. I am confident that this will replace your old one. Your balance coils look to be in good condition, too, so you can reuse them.

Hi Tom,

I agree that the 15-177 looks like the piece and that the coils are in good shape, but in your previous response to someone else you noted you had never seen a balance coil like ours. As you can see in the first picture the top plastic that holds a coil has broken off from the lower plastic piece. Do you also have this a "one piece plastic part" that holds the coils?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm not sure what response you saw, but I've seen your balance pretty much a dozen times a day for the past 10 years. It's very common.

The plastic cover isn't made anymore, but the manufacturer has a new way of doing it. You want to use the 15-144 cap, 15-143 bushing, and 15-145 barrel. These kind of "sandwich" over the spring, snapping in place and holding it steady in the track.

Everything sounds good and I just ordered everything you suggested.

Thanks from Ohio..
A quick learner from Lancaster, Ohio says:
Tom, I am having a hard time understanding how the parts fit together. Picture 1 shows 15-144 Coil Balance Cap inserted into 15-145 Coil Support Barrel (ready to insert a spring Case screw)which connects to the 15-143 Coil Bush on the reverse side. Previously there was one piece with 2 Coil barrels etc. Picture 2 shows that the 2nd set won't fit. Suggestions?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Picture 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Picture 2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

All of these pieces are explicitly designed to work together, so they should fit. There isn't much to it: the 15-144 goes on one side and the 15-143 goes on the other. The 15-145 goes between them, on the post of the 15-143. They all sandwich together over the spring.

I know it's more complicated than the old cover, but the manufacturer no longer makes that piece. This is the style they've decided to go with in recent years.

From my previously photo you can see that I put it back together as you have indicated. Previously there were two (2) sets of bushings, cap, and barrel (one also on the bottom). Is it only supposed to utilize one set at the top spring with this new method? As per my second photo it does not fit to use this for the bottom spring also. Weather in Ohio is supposed to go to 70 on Saturday so I will work on it then. Thanks,
Profile picture of Tom

No, you need to put these on every individual spring in the window. That's the same case for your original hardware, too. You need one cover per spring. If you have two springs, you need two covers.

Hi Tom,

Everything is back on and working properly. The problem I had was that the Coil Bushing Cap 15-144 had an arrow that pointed "down" toward the 15-177 Coil Balance Shoe which did not work. I reversed the arrow on Coil Bushing Cap 15-144 to point up on the and all fit properly.

Thanks,
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it sorted.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.