Aluminum window balancer

A contractor from Elizabeth, NJ says:
The school was built in 1957. The balancers are of a spiral type. The clip shown connects the spiral to the window sash. Pictures of actual window and spiral balancer.

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Ed, thanks for posting. The bracket appears similar to our 17-012, but I'm not sure what the balance could be. What is the diameter of the tube? It might be our Series 500 which has a tube diameter of 5/8" (or 9/16"). Can you confirm?
A contractor from Elizabeth, NJ says:
Thanks for the reply.

The diameter is 5/8" and the window overall height is 6'-3". What size balancer do I need?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great, if the diameter is 5/8" then I think the Series 500 is the best way to go. As for its length, do you happen to know how long the tube is? If you can't measure the tube, can you give me the height of the visible glass? We may be able to determine what size balance you need with that information.
A quick learner from NJ says:
The height of the glass on the lower sash is 35 1/4"
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great. In that case, check out our S599-35 spiral balance with a red tip. Like Tom said before, you should also consider our 17-012 bracket as well as our 75-005 charging tool, as well. You should also check out our handy guide on how to replace this kind of balance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)