American Craftman 50 series sliding door

A quick learner from Georgia says:
Hi, I just purchased the sliding door American Craftman 50 series (Being delivered this Monday 8-24) and want to get a key/lock handle to change it for the one that comes with it. I have little toddlers that know how to use the knob to open it. I need to put a key in to lock it and avoid these tots to go outside without me knowing.!! We have a pool and do not want any accidents of them falling in it !!
What do you recommend? I don't see in the instructions the size of the actual handle that comes with it so I don't know what to buy as for key/lock handle.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

No worries, I am pretty confident we can help. Can you show me the handle set in question? There's a few different possibilities for this type of door, so seeing it will help narrow down what key locks might work for you. Many thanks. 

This is the handle that came with door. The keyed handles I've seen are with key lock on the outside, which doesn't make sense to me nor works for me due to my grandsons being able to open sliding door and go in pool.
I'm looking for a handle with key lock inside that I can lock and kids can't open it.
Thank you.!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Perfect, thanks. What you can do is replace that outside pull with our 82-044, then adapt the 82-315 Key Lock. The video below shows how to do this. That way you could lock the door from the outside, thus preventing any unwanted exploring. Does this work for you? 

No.! I don't want the lock on outside. I was told at Home Depot that even if you lock it with key, it will unlock with the pull of the latch inside. Kids know how to do that at 4 and 3 yrs of age.
I need a key lock inside.!
Profile picture of Bob

Sorry, how stupid of me to miss that point! Unfortunately we don't sell key locks for the inside; they're not even really made since it's a fire hazard, quite frankly. I have another idea though. See the 80-006 Sliding Bar Lock. Also called a Charlie Bar, when installed this basically prevents the door from sliding open. It even indeed has a key which needs to be used to disengage it. Look at the instructions here. Something like this would probably be the best possible solution. Take a look and see what you think.

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
How to install the 80-006 sliding glass door security bar
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.