Andersen Awning Window Operator

A quick learner from Illinois says:
I need to replace an operator on an small Andersen awning window, age unknown. Attached are some photos of the unit. The arms appear to be 11" or so long. I'm also not sure how to remove the existing operator unless I remove some of the wood that runs over the top of it. Can you provide any guidance?

Also, is there an easy way to replace the screen? the frame is in decent shape. The stops that hold the screen in the frame appear to be bent strips of aluminium that match the frame. Can they be removed and reinstalled?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190527_182454420_HDR.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190527_182509589_HDR.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190527_182518206_HDR.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I don't think your exact operator is made anymore, but our 39-390 appears to be a newer version. Look it over and let me know if you could get this to work in your window.

I'm not sure about your screen. Most screens like yours are held in using retainer clips or strips, but they're usually plastic. Is your metal retaining strip screwed in? Or is it snapped in? You'll definitely have to remove that to get your springs out.

Let me start by saying that I have never worked on an awning window before. I received the 39-390. Comparing it to the existing rod (anchored to the window) shows the rod in the 39-390 to be long and about an inch longer than the width of the window sash. I can send a photo if necessary. Do you have any suggestions? Do I need to remove the existing rod, cut the new rod (+/- 1/2" on a side), modify the end anchors and install it as a completely new assembly?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I would be careful cutting the rod on the new operator. You don't want the shoes to slip off the rod when you close the window.

Could the rod fit on your sash as-is? Will that extra inch prevent the window from closing?

Yes, the rod on the new operator is about 1 inch wider than the window.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey, hopefully I can help.

Like Tom said, the trouble with cutting the rod at the ends is that the sash bracket that attaches the rod to the sash wont have the length they need to close the sash. The only solution that comes to mind is to perhaps notch the wood frame on either side to accept the longer rod. Would that be possible?

If not, you could potentially consider our 39-206 operator kit. This is a different style and I've never had anyone try using it as a replacement for your older model, but it may be possible. 

I'm sorry that we can't offer a more reliable recommendation! These older operators are hard to replace these days since Andersen has changed the style so often over the years.

A handy person from ohio says:
Unlike the original poster, my arms are about 15 inches long.

When replacing older style operators you might need to relocate the mounting holes. The best way would be to remove the sill cover at the bottom of the window then mount the new operator along with the sash rod and brackets to make sure all is well for the operation of the window. After the window can open and close correctly, you can then adapt the sill cover to the new operator. 

If your operator arms are do measure 15" you might need to use the 39-389 long kit. Take note you will need approximately 35" or a little more for the complete arm assembly when the window is closed.

A handy person from ohio says:
Should I expect to find that if I pry off the "sill cover" that there are mounting screws for the actuator? Is the "sill cover" the horizontal piece that goes above the actuator? Do I just pry this off?

Yes, there are almost certainly screws under the sill cover. This is the trim that runs over the operator. We actually show how you can remove this in one of our videos; the rest of the video features a totally different window and operator and won't be relevant to you, but the part about the sill cover should be of help to you.

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.