Arched top, non-tilt, odd-sized spiral

A home owner from texas says:
I've ordered and installed conventional balances from Swisco.com before. But this non-tilt balance has me stumped. It's an irregular shaped non-tilt window. There is only a 10 inch clear channel for the balance to go into. What is the shortest balance that I can use to replace the 24 inch one?

Spring balance is 24 inches. To get the old one out, I had to bend it.

To put a new one in, I'll have to bend it. This will of course, destroy the new balance.

Should I drill a hole up through the wall, to install the new one???
Spiral balance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for reaching out to us. The shortest we offer is our S400-11 spiral balance. You may use this, but we don't suggest bending it at all. You will need to install it in the 10" clearance. It will just shorten the sash opening height. Let us know if this helps you.
A quick learner from Austin, TX says:
Do I have to mount this 10 inch balance lower? How far can a balance extend?

Can I drill a hole above the window to fit in a longer balance?

Why didn't the manufacturer use a shorter balance to begin with?
Profile picture of Paul
I honestly have no idea why the manufacturer used what they used. I'll be honest with you: I've never seen this setup before. It seems very strange to me, and I'm not even sure how they fit what they fit in there. Whoever made this window was definitely being creative.

You may be able to install something longer than our S400-11, but you said there is only 10" of clearance. I'm not sure how anything longer could fit with only 10" to work with; even this 11" balance is cutting it close. You mention drilling up into the frame, but I've never done such a thing and I hesitate to recommend it. My instincts tell me that could get messy. Like I said, this is not common at all. If an S400-11 won't work for you, you may want to have a contractor come out and look at this for you.
Thank you very much for helping me. I appreciate your expertise.

If I put a 10 inch balance in there, I would need to mount it just above the sash in the guide. The 10 inch balance would only be able to extend 6 inches at the most. The total length of the extended 10 inch balance is 16 inches. (Is this correct?)

Unfortunately, the height of the sash is 23 inches. The 10 inch balance extended to 16 inches would NOT be able to reach the bottom of the sash.

Please let me know if this reasoning is correct.

It seems to me that I would at least need a 16 inch balance. A 16 inch balance all the way extended is 26 inches (Is this correct?). I would then mount the 26 inch balance just 2 inches above the sash.

Of course since there is only 10 inches of clearance above the sash, I am hosed.
I guess the main question I have is what is the full extension length of a 16 inch balance???

Is the full extension length of a 16 inch balance 24 inches?
Profile picture of Paul
I think we are coming closer to solving this problem. Let me follow up with a couple of more questions, if I may. What is the full height of the track from the sill to where the arch begins? What is the full height of the bottom sash and the visible glass height in the sash? There is a chance the bent balance that was in the sash might have come from a repair company and not the actual window manufacturer.
What is the full height of the track from the sill to where the arch begins? 35 inches

What is the full height of the bottom sash and the visible glass height in the sash? 24 inches.

There is a chance the bent balance that was in the sash might have come from a repair company and not the actual window manufacturer.

No, the windows are original as far as I know. The balance was straight before I bent it myself to get the original balance out. If I had known what I was getting myself into, I would have just silicon lubricated the original sash. My bad.

The shortest balance I can put in there must extend the entire length of the sash. My guess is that a 16 inch balance can fully extend to 24 inches. Is this correct?
Profile picture of Paul

If you are able to fit a S400-16 balance behind the sash, the spiral will extend to 32". Then you let the spiral extend all the way to the sill and mark the top screw hole of the tube in the track, then install the tube. See our media guide on using our 75-005 charging tool, as well. You only want to give it 2-3 turns.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.