Atrium window spring balance and shoe replacement

A quick learner from Summerville SC says:

I am trying to replace the spring balance and pivot block shoe for 3 single hung tilt-in windows. They are Atrium brand windows (or so I am told -- I cannot find a label). The tilt windows are 33" wide by 34-5/8" tall. The shoes appear to be open on both sides and are approximately 1-1/4" wide at the base. I appreciate any help that you can provide.

Thanks

Glenn 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4766.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4767.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4768.JPEG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can definitely supply this balance for you. Yours appears to match our Series 795 but with one key difference: yours installs at the top using a hook instead of a screw-tab.

That's not a problem, though. We can still sell you that configuration but it has to be a custom order, since it's not standard. I just had a few things that needed clearing up before we move forward.

To start, can you tell me the stamp printed on the metal channel? Can you also tell me exactly how many you needed? I know you said 3 windows so I would guess 6 balances total, but I want to be 100% sure. Finally, what is the length of the metal channel itself? I can't quite make it out in your photo.

Once I have that information I will email you a purchase link and price quote that you can use to place an order on our site.

Thank you for your email. The stamp on the channel is 32C; the length is 32" (9/16" width). As far as the attachment to the window goes, I think I can re-use the hooks by tying a knot in the string as was done originally. I have enclosed some additional pictures that I hope clarify things. I will need 6 balances total for the three windows as I plan to replace both sides. Thank you for your help.

Regards

Glenn 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4806.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4808.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4809.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4810.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4812.JPEG
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Glenn. If you plan on just reusing the old hooks then there is no need for this to be a custom order. You could use our S795-32 as is. Just make sure to wear safety gloves and goggles when you swap the clips out. I also recommend having a bench vice to lock the cord in place. These balances are under a lot of tension and if the clip gets away from you then it can definitely hurt you. Just something to keep in mind.

If you do want to go forward with the custom order after all, just let me know! I'd be happy to whip up that purchase link for you.

Thank you for your email. I now understand better the situation with changing the eyelet for a hook. Since it would certainly be easier to have you all install the hook, would you please let me know what the price would be for a special order of 6 spring balances?

I am pretty handy and believe that I can do it; however, it may be a lot easier to have you all manufacture them with a hook.

Best regards

Glenn 

Profile picture of Tom

Sure thing! So, all this link does is let you add the custom balance to your cart. We don't actually start making it until you checkout and pay for it, so it's not a commitment until then. If you decide that you'd rather try the conversion yourself then you can just ignore it.

I'll email that out to you right now. 

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.