Attempting to update old coil spring sash balance with 3/8 Spiral Balance

A handy person from Potomac Falls, Virginia says:
I currently have vinyl jam liners with old coil spring balances. They support a double hung wood sash that have 33" of visible glass, and weigh 22.2 lbs each. Attached are pictures to illustrate.

The nylon pivot slides that attach to these long coil spring balances are breaking, so I need a sash balance solution. However, I don't know which Swisco balance product may work best as a replacement option. Would appreciate your ideas.

Thanks!
Chris
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named nylon pivot slide w attached coil spring.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named nylon pivot slide.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash pivot pin.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Vinyl Jam Liner.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named wood sash.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not supply naked springs like the one used in your jamb liner. You would need to contact a local millwork for replacement springs but if you just need the bottom attachment, take a look at our 15-104 Caradco friction shoe. Thanks for posting!

A quick learner from Potomac Falls says:
Hi Chris,

While searching for the same coil and shoe, I came across your post. And interestingly enough, I live in Potomac Falls, VA as well!
We most likely have the same windows, and I am curious to know if the Caradco friction shoe worked for you or if you found a place to procure the coil springs?

Thanks,
Yannick
A handy person from Shawnee, Kansas says:
I have at least 8 of this same windows (4 of them were never opened - and we had no idea that they even tilted or what compressions windows were LOL). When I had a local glass guy replace all the glass with lowE (the seals were broken in all after 25 years), we found some of the windows would fall and fail in other ways. Several of these had this exact part broken at the hook with the internal springs unattached.

I've searched the internet, and in many cases because of the COVID supply chain issues, I cannot find anywhere replacement jamb liners with the block and tackle(?) springs and hooks and pins to make these wood windows new.

Does anyone know how to replace this friction shoe/clutch pin without replacing the jamb liners in order to install the shoe in the existing and reconnect the spring?

Or can anyone direct me to a vendor that currently has the jamb liner kits for a wood double-hung Caradco window?
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

If the friction shoe is the only broken part, you should be able to replace it with the 15-104. If the springs or jamb liners are damaged, you'll need to contact a local millwork for replacements. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.