BALANCE SPRINGS FOR ATRIUM WINDOWS

A quick learner from Las Vegas says:
I need 2 of these. The length (from metal end to metal end) equals 28 inches.
What would be the cost and shipping charges to Las Vegas 89135?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 691CBCF4-6A5A-42B3-A2A9-C095C6CC13F8.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 408E1FD8-2A65-403E-A58B-33736EC92220.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 660BCEE2-85CF-4A62-A519-DE11EF7B8DBE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 139E20D8-5FBB-4DBD-9447-E5126781AC62.jpeg
Actually, I need 4 of the balances! Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CA1F587E-1781-4550-A3BE-AF150EB75760.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

This looks like a good match for our Series 395 with the 2830 spring strength option. Your stamp indicates the metal channel should measure 29" long so we suggest triple checking this measurement before placing an order.

You'll also be given multiple shipping options and delivery estimates to choose from at checkout.

If you have any questions just let me know!

Hello! Thank you so much for the info..

However, I re-measured the metal channel, Not including the plastic ends. Just the shiny silver metal.

The metal channel is only 28"., not 29. If I include the plastic ends, Then I will have 29".

What do I do now? I agree that you add one inch to the number stamped on the channel. That number stamp is 28.

But again, the metal channel is clearly one inch shy of 29".

It was my belief that I should order a 29" balance spring, TOTAL, measured from end to end INCLUDING the plastic ends.

Now if you are correct, and I tell you that I have a 29" metal channel, you will send me a 30" balance spring. I do not think that would be wise.

Now I'm totally confused?

Also, how do you come to the 2830 spring strength option? Just curious, is it the GX or CMC 7 stamped on it?

Thank you!!

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello there! Emily is out today but I will do my best to help.

Any balance stamped with "28-3" like yours was only made in 29" lengths; keep in mind that you only measure the metal channel and never include the nylon fittings. That's how it's always done. 

If your metal channel is indeed 28", though, then it's not the end of the world. It's possible that someone cut it down to size prior to installation. Maybe they bought the wrong size by mistake and had to make do. It's not totally unheard of.

That does make your situation a little trickier. You would still go with the 28" balance since that's what your window has been using successfully all this time. However the calibration of our spring is going to be a little different since it's not going to be the same size; even though your metal channel was cut down it's still using the spring for a 29" balance, not 28".

If I were you I would weigh my sash on a scale so that there's no doubt. We have a chart on the S395-28 store page that tells you exactly how much weight each option supports, so you just have to pick accordingly. 

THANK YOU!!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You're welcome! I'm happy to help, of course. Please let us know if you needed anything else.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.