BSI 1540 Block & Tackle window balance

A landlord from Powell, OH says:
I need two 16" 1540 Block & Tackle window balances. I'm not sure but I think the bottom mount guide that attaches to the window may be broken as well. Any videos on how to know where the bottom window guide attaches is helpful.

I have another rental where I fixed the window using your help successfully. I had no idea you're so popular. TYVM!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7471.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7472.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7473.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7474.JPEG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Depending on the depth of your bottom shoe, you could have either our S351-16 or S390-16 channel balance. The Series 351 has a 1" deep shoe while the Series 390 has a 1-1/8" shoe. Take a look at the image below to determine which balance you'll need. You will also need the 1540 spring strength option.

As for the guide, can you show me some pictures of what you're referring to?

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
It's the 1.125". I know how it goes inside but what does the balance catch onto the window? I'm concerned it's broken and missing bc I don't see it. The balance slides out the bottom when I reinstall it.

Thanks,
Eric
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like you need a take out clip like our 16-002. Do you at least have the slots where the take-out clips install? If so, you can simply purchase new ones to replace those that are missing. 

If you don't have the slots, you could consider the "screw trick". You can install a screw into the jamb around about where the take out clip would've been and it will serve the same function. After you're done, you'd simply remove the screw.

I have the TO clips and they are fine. But what about the other end? What stops the opposite end of the tk out clips? How is the opposite end held in? The end with the hook?
Profile picture of Emily

Yes, the hook at the end of the cord hooks into a slot in the window jamb. See the video below. At the 0:43 mark you'll see exactly what I mean. 

I do have the tk out clips and spot for the hook. How do I order two window balance and which ones?
Profile picture of Emily

If your bottom shoe depth is 1-1/8", you'll need the S390-16 with the 1540 spring strength option. All orders can be placed directly on our website as well. 

Any idea what top sash guides I need? I'd like to get those as well.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your balance is compatible with many, many different kinds of top sash guides. I'd be happy to make a recommendation but I will need the original as a reference.

If possible, please remove an undamaged version from the window and show me a clear picture of it from the front and side. Think of it like a mugshot. I can then see if anything in our catalog matches up.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.