Balance

A quick learner from Defuniak Springs, Florida says:
I asked this question on another page but can't find it now to give you more info. I found printed on the spring 408L. There is a number 7 molded into one of the shoes so I'm not sure if it is a 7 lb or an 8 lb? I assume the 140?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190529_124018.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190529_124028.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190529_124036.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. See our 15-192 Pivot Shoe. This is compatible with Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Springs. The Series 171 has a longer tongue and is meant to stack on top of the Series 170 if you have more than 1 coil balance on each side of the sash. As far as the stamp codes, it's best to always go by what's on the actual coil spring rather than the shoe or housing. The stamp 408 indicates you might need our S170-408 8 lb spring. But check the second spring for a different stamp. If in doubt, weigh the window sash. Get back to us with the exact sash weight and we will tell you what you need. Many thanks. 

A quick learner from Defuniak Springs, Florida says:
So could I replace the entire balance with the 140 (8)? My springs are fine but the shoes are broken. My springs are stamped 408L and 408R.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

If your springs are undamaged then you'd be fine just replacing the pivot shoe. I would not recommend attempting to convert to the Series 140 system. This is often tempting since it's a "one-all" package, but it has a different thickness than the 15-192 and likely would not sit right in your jamb track. As a rule, it's almost always best to stick with the coil balance system components you originally had. The 15-192 should work for you.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.