Balance Rod Shoe

A quick learner from St Augustine says:
We have Better Bilt Windows from 1998 with 29 inch 3/8 Balance Rods with a black end but the shoe is missing. Can you tell us what shoe we need without taking the other side apart? It is obsolete windows probably can't get the original part anyway.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that we cannot. Without seeing a photo of the shoe, we are not able to identify what a potential match is.

I would also double check the diameter of the outer tube, or the color of the end bearing. No 3/8" diameter balance was ever made with a Black Tip. One of those two details is in error.

Hi updating our information with some photos! We need a Balance Rod Shoe that will replace the broken off shoe that came with the Better Bilt Window from 1998! Also it seems our 29 inch 3/8 non tilt Balance Rod has a Black Tip but not those for sale on the web. Is this updated information any help?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0080.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0081.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0082.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0090.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0095.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! This is a huge help. Your balance looks like it's off a non-tilt window. These don't always have shoes and sometimes just clip to a little metal bracket on the sash itself. These brackets are hidden from view, so I can't say with certainty, but I think that's a possibility we should consider in your case.

If so, the next step would be to confirm the diameter of your outer tube. Like you noted, no 3/8" balance was ever made with a black tip. Either you have a 5/8 or 9/16" balance instead, or it's possible your old tip lost its color over the years. It happens sometimes. 

Assuming you do have a 3/8" balance then you'd want our S400-29. To choose between the Red or Green color option, you'll have to find a way to weigh that sash. I recommend placing a scale (any common bathroom scale should do) on the sill and gently lowering the sash on top of it. Make sure the balances on both sides are disconnected. This won't be 100% accurate, but it'll do for our purposes.

Hopefully that makes sense. Let me know if you ahve any questions!

Yes for sure the tube is 3/8 inch we for sure need the strongest Balance Rob it is a very big heavy window!

Don't want to mess with other side because it is working fine and will actually hold by itself!

The Aluminum clip in the bottom of the sash that holds the bottom of the balance rod is broken right off and gone.

There is a piece of it held by a Phillips head screw but heard there a repair that went over the outside of the sash and fastened for a balance rod lower mount!

We want to try and fix the balance rod with out removing the window altogether!

Thank you for your help
Profile picture of Tom

If the hidden clip is broken on one side, then this project just got a whole lot harder. These are not meant to be repaired or replaced in any way. The reason for this is because the original window manufacturer would rather you just buy a new window when any little piece breaks. This is obviously unfair, but it makes things difficult.

The only way to remove those clips is to remove the sash, and the only way to remove the sash is to take the frame apart. I'm afraid there's no easy way around this. That's your only option. I highly recommend contacting a local professional to come out and see what they can do to help.

As for balance strength, I also highly recommend getting the exact sash weight while the window is out. It's rare that a 3/8" diameter balance is used for heavy windows since they're so skinny. They are not made for heavy windows at all. They would simply buckle under the pressure.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.