Balance Springs Need replacement

A home owner from Aurora, IL says:

On some of my windows, the string has broken or the lock shoe keeps sliding up. I feel a good number of the balance springs should be replaced, since they are almost 20 years old.

However, I couldn't find an exact match on your website. Particularly because of the mounting screw on the top of the metal rail (see attached images).

Could you please provide some expert guidance?

Thank you,

Eduardo

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Lock Shoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Mounting Screw.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring Specs.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us, Eduardo. We may be able to supply this balance, but before we can go any further I just want to make sure we get you the proper size. May I h ave the length, width, and height of the original metal channel?

Hello Tom,

Sorry for the delay! Length = 31 in , Height = 5/8 in , Width = 5/8 in. I also added two pictures detailing the two ends of the rail.

Thanks again,
Eduardo
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Lock Shoe End.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Mounting Screw End.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Looking at your ribbed balance with the locking knife shoe, I believe that you can use our S751-31 with a 30HD stamp option. Now, this balance comes with a similar shoe, 15-014. Since you have the old balance shoe out, please check the distance from the back of the shoe to the tip f the locking fork. Ours is 1-1/8". If yours matches then our Series 751 will work.

Also note that they no longer come with a mounting screw hole at the top. You will need to drill a hole, unfortunately.

Hi Paul,

Bummer that they no longer come with the mounting screw on top. Well, if you have to reduce manufacturing cost, the only drilling operation that is perpendicular to all others has to go... I can drill it myself.

Now, the distance from the back of the shoe to the tip of the locking fork is only 1 inch on the ones I have.

What do you suggest?
Thanks,
Eduardo

Profile picture of Paul

Thanks, Eduardo. That different in shoe width actually isn't all that much, at least compared to some instances. Since it's only a difference of 1/8" I think it might be caused by your shoe wearing down from time and use. This happens a lot.

That said, I believe you can use our S751-31 with a 30HD stamp option.

Thank you Paul!
I will probably order a few pairs to start with and see how they fit on my windows.

As far as maintenance is concerned, should I use some sort of lubricant on the balance springs? If so, what type?

Thanks again,
Eduardo
Profile picture of Paul

It's usually not necessary to lubricate new balances. If you wanted to, you could spray silicone in the track.

Thank you Paul for all the help.
Nice chatting with you :)
Profile picture of Paul

It was my pleasure. If you need anything in the future, you know where to find me.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.