Balance for Sears Window

A handy person from Eden Prairie, MN, USA says:
The balance is for the upper sash in a double hung vinyl frame window. The glass is double pane, about 38" x 20". See the above name tag attached to the frame. The balance is a two spring model with two screws attaching it to the channel. It has a nylon housing and a nylon carrier for the window swivel. The carrier is broken. Can you identify the correct part to purchase for a replacement? Thanks, Fred Pollman
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance4.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Fred. This looks like the old Simonton brand balance system. It's not made anymore, but we have a handy video that walks you through a modern substitute that you can try. We detail each part you need to purchase and each step you need to follow to get it working in your window.

A handy person from Eden Prairie, MN, USA says:
Hi Tom, thanks for the response to my question about a broken balance part for a double hung window. I have reviewed the response and just want to make sure that your recommendation has the correct parts. The balance coils in my window are 3/4" wide and the diameter is 1 1/4". I fits snugly into the channel for the window. Note that there are 2 coils in my balance assembly, and the 15-255 coil support has only 1 coil. The window weighs 21 lb. Would I order 1 of the S-159 coil springs in the 10.5 lb range? Does this coil fit in the 1 1/4" channel? Does the 15-259 pivot shoe fit in the 1 1/4" x 3/4" channel? Thanks, Fred
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance5.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance6.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance7.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance8.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello again! If your sash weight is 21 pounds then using one 10.5 pound spring on each side should be perfectly fine. As for the 15-259, its exact measurements are 1-1/4" wide x 13/16" thick, which is a little larger than 3/4". However in my experience the 15-259 fits perfectly well in your window, as you can see from the video above. I have done it myself. You may want to triple check that just to be safe. At 13/16" thick, the 15-259 is actually considered one of the skinnier options for this larger gauge balance. The next smallest size down is 1/2", which is way, way too small.

15-255 : 3/4
3/4" Coil Single Support
15-255
$1.06
VIEW >
15-259 : Coil Balance Pivot Shoe
Coil Balance Pivot Shoe
15-259
$2.94
VIEW >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at help@swisco.com.