Balance string is twisted, want to replace

A handy person from California says:
I just removed the channel that was loose from the window. I noticed i don't have a clip on that side (which I'll need) and the string inside is twisted (assuming that's a big problem). I want to get a new channel but having a hard time figuring out the exact product I'd need. It is a 27" channel. Here's a picture of the stamp on the channel.
Thank you for your help
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 470BBA41-8C7E-40FA-9BBC-07066B7B3688.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure what you have, unfortunately. We have dozens of different balances with that stamp. It's not a product code or anything, it just indicates the strength of the spring.

In order to figure out what Series this is, we need you to remove an undamaged version of this balance from the window and show me clear pictures of the top and bottom nylon fittings. We will also need to know the dimensions of these fittings.

I hope these pictures will help. I also need new clips because one just broke!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 448BA49E-D664-41C8-A491-46C2782D8EE6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BA17824F-64F5-4DAB-993A-69841C251385.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 430555DA-0A75-4395-A90C-142D005D2BB5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BEE87E81-A244-4291-BD9B-133807D171EE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9DC9BF5C-45DF-4774-9A9E-93058A9EE238.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! I recognize this balance. You have a special type that will have to be a custom order. Can you confirm the length of the metal channel? It should be 26-5/8", not 27". Can you also tell me how many you need?

Once I have that information, I can email you an order link and price quote for that quantity.

Here's a picture of the metal measurement. I'm told I should replace both sides. Also need the insert clips and the channel stopper clips (one just broke)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 871FBEE3-65B5-4FCE-BE3C-4B1D8DAD700E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1CD5EF03-3673-4BB9-8C7A-A8CFB982A443.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! That's just what I needed to see. Please give me just a little time to confirm the availability of this custom balance and I'll get back to you before the end of the day.

I'm also not sure what clip it is you're referring to. Can you show me?

Here's a picture of one of the clips missing. Also, the clip pulled from the frame when lifting the window out. It holds the channel down. It broke this last time i pulled the window out.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EACCB304-D349-4337-B143-00BA847FF7AA.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Gotcha. These clips are physically part of the balance and will be included with the custom order we set you up with. I'll get back to you on that once I have confirmation.

Profile picture of Tom

Hello again. I just had one last question: can you confirm that the stamp you gave us in your very first photo is off the same balance as you're showing us in the rest of your photos? I'm having a little trouble with that. There is a chance you're showing us two different balances.

Wondering if you had any luck locating the correct part that i need to order?
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Did you see my most recent post on the 11th? We ran into a road-block in our research and I wanted you to confirm that information before we proceed.

I sent something back to you on Friday regarding the balance. I'm getting confused with everything now. The original photos of the balance has the stamp. I'll send them again. The future photos were from the opposite balance in the window. I assumed they are the same type. You asked for a picture of an unbroken balance. These photos are from the broken balance with the stamp.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A780AF8A-15D5-4F44-B55C-C96393F9105D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 22819BEA-A6EC-4929-8CD3-09A47470EEEF.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5D37D6D1-FCCE-42C0-A6FF-D2001E2DA9FA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BD1626DC-85BF-483C-8D83-9B514D050C7D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 74D12194-08E3-44FE-B518-CC4327633A43.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Okay, this explains a lot. This is an entirely different balance. To clarify, you're telling me that this is used in the same window as the balance you showed us on the 10th? If so, then that's wrong. Someone messed up at some point while repairing your window and used the wrong part. A sash needs identical balances on both sides.

I also should point out that the metal clip you're indicating in this new batch of photos is the take out clip, which is our 16-002. That's a different clip that serves a separate function from the clip you circled in red on the 11th. That part an attachment clip that holds the other balance to the frame. It actually does the exact opposite of the take out clip.

So, this presents a unique problem. I don't know which balance you actually need for your window. One of these is wrong and should not have been used. Would you happen to know which balance is original to your window? Like I mentioned before, the balance you showed us on the 10th has to be custom made. This other balance here doesn't. This is just a regular old stock part, probably either our S380-27 or S385-27, depending on the depth of the shoe.

Well, we are the original owners to the home and we've never replaced any parts in the windows. I think at this point i need to have a window company come in and fix it, if you're saying it's not a correct part. Yes, the take out clips broke. You explained that the other (circled) clip comes with the new balance.

I'm not sure i can continue trying to figure this out over emails. I thought it would be an easy part to find and replace. Thank you for all your previous help! I do appreciate you researching it for me
Profile picture of Tom

It was my pleasure. I'm just sorry we can't give you a more confident answer. All I can tell you is that we can definitely replace either balance you show us here; I just don't know which one's correct. It would be a coin flip on our part. 

If you're the original owners of the house, then the window installers are definitely in error and in my opinion should be accountable. To be more specific about the differences between these balances, the one you showed us on the 10th has a different length (ending on a 5/8" measurement rather than a full inch) and has an extended cord travel length. It also has various stylistic differences in the bottom nylon fitting, such as the pulley wheel being built directly into it. I would be shocked if this window ever worked properly.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.