Balances Needed for Double Hung Windows

A contractor from Costa Mesa, ca says:

Hello,

I need help determining which balances would work for these windows. The glass etching says they are Herculite. The balance numbers are different than what I am used to seeing so I'm hoping you will know what will work. Here are all the numbered balances;

1) Entry. 21 2 Bsi oe qty 2

2) Dining. 27 3 bsi oo qty 2

3) Family room. 27 3 bsi oo qty 2

4) bed. Downstairs 33 3 bsi oe qty 2

5) Master. 29 3 bsi OB qty 8

6) Bed above garage. 18 2 bsi nn. qty 2

7) Upstairs bath 15 2 bsi OF qty 4

If you could help me order these I'd really appreciate it!

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. The numbers you cite are not actually do not identify specific types of balances; rather, they indicate the spring weight--this will be useful later. For now, I need a little more information from you to make sure we get the right parts for all 7 sets of balances you require.

1) Could you show me an undamaged version of your balance, removed from the window, from each of the 7 sets you mention (entry, dining, family room, etc)? I need to see the nylon attachments specifically, and make sure they do not differ from set to set. 

2) Could you also confirm the length of the metal channel in each set? Do not include the nylon attachments in this measurement

Once I have this information, I should be able to narrow down the balances you need. Thanks! 

Hello, here are the additional measurements we were able to get

nylon Tops are 3/4" depth= 5/8
nylon Bottoms are 1" depth= 1-1/8
Metal Bar size:
21's are 22" long x 5/8" depth
x 1/2" wide
33's are 34" long
27's are 28" long
29's are 30"
18's are 19"
15's are 16"
Depth and width are same for all

hopefully this helps! Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure I understand your dimensions. You say that your tops are 3/4" depth = 5/8", but I don't know what that means. Is 5/8" a different dimension? What is it in regards to? The same goes for the shoe. You say that the depth is 1" = 1-1/8", but these are two very important measurements that would decide what your Series is.

Like Bob said, we would still need to see a picture of the balance out of the window. Though to be honest, you really just need to confirm whether your nylon fitting has wings or not. If it has wings, then you have either our Series 380 or Series 385, depending on the depth of the shoe. If the bottom fitting doesn't have wings, then our Series 395 is a stronger possibility.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the Series 395 myself, but you should confirm whether it has wings just to be 100% sure.

Hello, I was able to get these additional photos. do these help?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's still hard to tell. Your balance is a little obscured in each of these pictures. That said, it does look like your shoe has wings. With that in mind, you want either our Series 380 or Series 385, depending on the depth of the shoe. If the shoe is 1" deep, you want the Series 380. If it's 1-3/32" deep, you want the Series 385 instead. The depth is the "heel to toe" measurement.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.