Balances on both sides are broken

A quick learner from Carnegie (Pittsburgh, PA) says:
There are absolutely no markings anywhere unfortunately. These windows are original and the house was built in 2001 by Maronda Homes in Carnegie, PA (Carnegie Highlands). The window weighs 25lb and I was told that one coil isn't recommended for a window this heavy but it works for the remainder of the windows in the house.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6575.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6576.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6578.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6579.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6581.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Your pivot shoe looks like a match for our 15-180, which is designed to be compatible with our Series 190 coil spring, 15-186 clip, and 15-182 bushing. These components are sold separately.

Since your sash is 25 pounds, I would agree that one spring per side is not enough. The rule of thumb is to take the weight of the sash and divide it by how many springs support it; in this case, 4. Therefore I would suggest the S190-640 spring along with the 15-181 double spring clip. You will also need an additional 15-182 bushing for the new springs.

Hi Tom, thanks so much for your reply. I have ordered all of the parts you suggested. For 2 windows, I have ordered 4 of everything except for the balance coil springs- I ordered 8 (2 for each side of the window). Is that correct?

I watched all the videos you included and it seems like even I can attempt to replace this all myself (I hope) never having any experience. I am assuming I do everything in the triple coil video except I'm only attaching 2 coils?

I'm confused as to what the bushing is for or where it fits- it didn't look like that was in any of the videos unless I missed it. Also- if I have 2 springs do I need 2 bushings for each side as well? I only ordered one for each side. Let me know. Thanks!
Christina

Profile picture of Tom

Installing coil springs can be a little tricky, I won't lie to you, especially when you're working with more than one spring. It can be difficult to feed the complete assembly into the cutout and even I struggle with it sometimes. There's no trick to it, though; all you need is patience and a steady hand. 

The bushing acts as a kind of cushion between the spring and the posts in the support clip. Those posts are actually too skinny compared to how wide the center of a coil spring is, and the bushing just fills the space so they don't wobble during operation. 

You do need two bushing for each side, yes. You also want to make sure to purchase the 15-181 double clip instead of the 15-186 single clip that you had before. I'm sorry if that was unclear.

Hi Tom,

I feel like we're missing a part or maybe have the wrong coils? They don't connect like the ones in your video. Is there a way to schedule a call/face time/zoom with you or someone?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid we don't offer that kind of service. I'm only able to assist you right here on this page.

I'm not sure what part may be missing in this application. I've named every component used in this assembly. As for how the coil attaches to the pivot shoe, it just screws on. You can reuse your old screws from the original assembly. I do that all the time and they work perfectly well. I promise that the Series 190 is the right part for the job; these are explicitly designed to work with the 15-180 pivot shoe. They don't go on anything else.

A quick learner says:
Thanks so much! We figured it out and all the parts fit perfectly! The window now stays up. You were very helpful, thanks again!
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it! Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions. We're always here to help.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.