MI SGD Balcer replacement

A quick learner says:
I have an Alenco MI SGD system. Need balancers.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2141.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2140.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2138.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2137.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1573.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We should be able to help you with this project, but we'll need to see the balances in question in order to ID them. I'm afraid the provided images don't tell us much.

I assume the balances on this window are missing, which is why you need them to begin with. Do you have an identical window in the house that still has its hardware? If so, you can use that as a reference.

A quick learner from Palm Coast Florida says:
I have an Alenco 3753. Need Window balance.
Window stamp shows BAL 841/Special
Ribbed balance with a stamp reading 28F BSI ET
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

We'd like to see some images of the actual balance you're looking to replace. Once we have those photos, we can get started on searching for what you need. 

Please see photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1573.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 28F balance stamp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1577.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! You have kind of a weird setup. Looks like you have a ribbed style channel balance, which is not what I was expecting to see. Can you show me a clear picture of the top and bottom ends of the balance? I want to see how it installs in the window frame at the top, be it with a screw or a hook. I'd also like to see the bottom end so that I can determine how it connects to the pivot shoe in that third photo up top.

There's a chance that this balance will have to be custom made, so please make sure your photos are as clear as possible. We will have to be thorough.

New photos as requested
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1580.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1583.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1581.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1582.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you, this is exactly what we needed to see. 

We can supply this balance, but it will have to be a custom order as I was suspecting. We can also only supply the balance itself; that metal clip you show in your fourth photo, the one that goes into the pivot shoe, isn't made anymore. You'll need to remove the old one from this balance and put it on the new balance, so make extra sure to hold onto it and don't lose it! 

I will now email you an order link and price quote for 2 of these, which is our minimum. If you needed more, let me know here and I'd be happy to change the quantity for you.

A handy person from Lutz, FL says:
In reference to the "metal clip you show in [...] fourth photo" and that "isn't made anymore."
(1) Do you know that the model or part number of the piece was before it was discontinued?

I have the same balance setup as the original poster. Mine came from Alenco Florida, model 3753/3753FL. In you forums I've seen several other posters looking for help with the same system.

The balance is attached at the top with a Balance Clip Attachment (15-198). Then it's an odd arrangement an inverted ribbed tilt balance connected using the discontinued clip to attach to a spiral balance shoe (very similar to the 15-134). Like many other posters in your forum, I am in need of the no-longer made piece.
(2) Is there an alternative method of attaching the balance to the shoe?
(3) Or a suitable replacement system? (maybe different balance system with same shoe)
(4) If you are not aware of anyway to achieve the same function with different hardware, might you know of any companies that may be able to customer manufacture some of the clips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid we have no alternative to that metal clip, either in the form of an existing product or a rig of some kind. We have tried many different solutions but nothing has worked. 

I also do not know of any company who might still carry these. To my knowledge they're not made at all and anyone who might still have them would have to have old stock. It's just not possible to say who may or may not have a box of these laying around.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. I really wish we could get a hold of these clips, but it's just not possible. The only saving grace is that they are rarely damaged (in my experience) and in most cases can be reused.

A handy person from Florida says:
I have the same balance as the OP in this post. I need two; can you provide a quote?
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, we can still supply this balance. Can you just verify the length of the metal channel and the stamp printed on it? Can you also tell me how many you need?

Please also note that we can't supply this exact assembly, as it's no longer made. What we provide is a suitable alternative that works with some minor rework. Specifically, our balance comes with a plastic "T" shaped shoe at the bottom of the metal channel. You must discard this and reuse the original metal tab that goes at the bottom of your original.

That metal tab is essential. It's not something we can provide, so you must reuse the original. If that's not possible, then there is nothing in our inventory that can work for this window.

It is 28" in length (not counting the tabs). 28F BSI BV is what's stamped on channel; image attached. Looks like we will need 4 total.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231011_004009132.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thanks! Please give me a little time to check on its availability and I'll get back to you ASAP.

One last note: we'll be making this with a hook at the end of the cord, as per the photos provided by the original customer who made this thread back in 2020. However there is an alternate style that uses a screw-tab at the end of the cord, instead. That may be a detail you want to check before you place your order.

If you do happen to have the screw tab instead of the hook, let me know here and we'll go that way instead.

Good call out! All I have to reference are these broken ones and they don't have anything except for a broken plastic piece on the other end. Let me see if I can get my hands on a working balance and I'll get back to you.
Profile picture of Tom

You got it! I have everything all sorted on my end, so once you confirm that top clip we'll be ready to pull the trigger on this. I'll await your analysis!

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.