BiltBest window crank parts 14 45054 & 16 45054

A quick learner from Waterloo, Illinois says:
I have a situation the same on two of the windows in the house and I can't seem to locate the part/parts that I may need. on the underside on one of the cranks the numbers found are 14 45054 the other is 16 45054. When I was cranking the windows closed, these parts detatched from the window. Im not sure if the crank is the part needing be replaced or the casement? Can anyone please help?
User submitted photo of their BiltBest window crank operator.
The name "BiltBest" is on the crank operator cover.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

Thank you for posting on the discussion board. The problems you're describing appear to be the effects of a damaged or worn out operator.

To get started, take a look at the 39-031 and 39-032 EntryGard Operators, as well as the 39-155 and 39-156 Caradco Window Operators. You may be able to re-use your handles and operator covers, but if you'd like to replace those items, you can find them in Related Item(s).
A home owner from Hudsonville Mi says:
I have a similar problem in that several my windows the worm gear (i don't know what you call it) has come loose and I am not able to shut windows. Do I have to replace the entire window crank or is there a way to fix or replace just the gear??

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Tom, you must replace the complete operator when the worn gear pops out.
A quick learner from Omaha Ne says:
I have the same problem as Tom . My crank part # is 45012. Do I need to replace the whole mechanism too ? Thank You , Annlouise
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Annlouise, you will have to replace the complete operator if the worn gear has popped out.
A home owner from Pittsburgh says:
I have the same biltbest window cranks as pictured. The window will crank open, but the handle falls off when I try to crank it closed. What parts will I need to replace?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
First, you must remove your operator to get the correct one. After you remove the operator, take a look at the Swisco 39-031 EntryGard Operator. I believe this is the type you have, however you must check the measurements on the arms to see if they line up to yours. Also, check to see if you have a right or left handed operator.
A quick learner from Franklin, Tennessee says:
Hello, From the above posts, I can tell that I need the 39-031 Operator, but here is my question: How do I remove the old and install the new without removing the wood strip above the crank operator? Or is that just part of the process? Thank you!
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Hello, You will need to remove the trim. You should be able to pry it up, take care not to crack the wood cover, it is normally held in with small trim nails.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)