Bonneville Window Balances

A home owner from Brooklyn, NY says:
Hello,
I have three Bonneville, double hung, tilt-in windows that I believe were manufactured with hurricane-rated glass and are quite heavy. The balances (spring assembly) in all three need to be replaced. Some are actually working, but I want to replace all of them. I have photos of the balances, which I have already removed. The markings on the spring assembly are (11/05) UNIQUE 32-F-60. Please let me know if you carry that hardware or, preferably, something compatible that is more robust.
Thank you,
Andrew
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Andrew! I'm pretty sure we can replace this. We just need a bit more information. Specifically, can you show me a clear picture of your metal channel from the end profile? I want to see if it's ribbed or plain. To get an idea of what I'm saying, look at this page

I'd also like to know the length of the metal channel, the weight of the sash, and how many of these you're looking for. Depending on whether your balance is ribbed or plain, it may need to be specially made. With that in mind, I just want to nip that information in the bud in case we end up needing it. Thank you!

Hi Tom,

Attached are two pics. They appear to be plain - not ribbed.

The metal channel is 33" in length. The springs are about 16" in length.

I will weigh the sash this evening. They are quite heavy as I believe they are made with hurricane-rated glass. The pulleys are made of some cast metal, which has failed in some of them, which is why I am looking for replacements.

I need 12 of them.

I also was hoping to get new weather stripping so I attached a couple pics of that as well.

Thank you for your help!

Andrew

Hi Tom,

One more pic with markings from the balances as well as the bottom piece. 

The sashes are 40 lbs each.

Thanks/Andrew

Profile picture of Tom

Great, thank you! I think we can use our S770-33 with a 33F stamp to replace this, we would just swap the bottom clip out for our 15-014. I just have one last question: does your balance attach at the top using a screw, or does it use a hook of some kind? 

Let me know, and in the meantime I'll get to work on the availability of this balance.

As for that weatherstripping, I'm afraid I can't make it out. Is there an undamaged sample we can see? That's assuming the sample you're showing me is in fact damaged; I've never seen anything like that before.

Thanks again. The balances are attached with a screw. The weight ratings on the S770-33 do not seem to be up to 40lbs. Is that still okay? I have three windows and some or all of the balances on each of them have failed. When I took them out I saw some of the cast metal pulleys had self-destructed. Maybe because of the weight? Just want to make sure that the replacement ones are sufficiently robust. The springs on mine seem to be in fine shape, by the way.

Re the weather stripping I'll take a better pic. Yeah, what I was showing you was the bubble part that had separated from the part that is anchored in the channel in the window.
Profile picture of Tom

No, the standard stamp options for the S770-33 will not work for you. That's why we were going to make it with a special 33F, based on your old stamp. But you must accept my apology: I missed the fact that you mentioned a 40 pound sash in your last post. That was my mistake! With that in mind, I actually think our 33G would be better.

Since these attach with a screw, it'll make things a lot easier. I'll shoot over a custom order link and price quote for 12 33G balances right now with a 15-014 shoe attached. These should work great for your 40 pound sashes.

Once we can see a clearer shot of that weatherstripping, we'll do our best to find a match!

Profile picture of Tom

Andrew, that's a good question. Our return policy is more related to voluntary returns and refunds. If there's a problem with our construction of the balance, or if our recommendation was wrong, we back up our customers and our products. Thanks for coming to SWISCO.

Thank you, Tom. I reviewed your quote. Looks reasonable. One question, it says "non-refundable" but what if, for instance, the channels simply don't fit or the shoes are not quite the right size? I am relying on your expertise that these will work, correct? Thank you very much, again.

Andrew
Thanks for this, Tom. I?m attaching better pics of the weather stripping. Do you have this? What lengths does it come in?

Also, I would like to first buy 4 balances instead of 12 initially, so I can be sure that they will work. Can you redo the purchase order accordingly?
Profile picture of Tom

It's still tough to make it out while it's installed, but that third photo looks like our 58-055 with an angled base. Look it over and see what you think.

Ok. I'm away for a week. Maybe I'll take it out when I get back and place the order then. Thank you very much,
Andrew
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.