Boreal vinyl window circa 1995

A home owner from Edmonton, Alberta says:
This is the photo of the part I need to replace:

The centre finger of the 3-finger vinyl piece on the opposite side of the window has broken off.

The release clips that allow the window to slide up and down are labeled "Boreal".

The functioning trident piece (in the photo) is stuck at its highest point, and the broken trident piece is at the bottom of its range. Both are attached to a tension cable

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190617_121307.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

This is a very specific looking pivot shoe. To better assist you, we would need to see if removed from the window and have you reply with measurements. Take a look at the video below of one of the more common ways to remove the pivot shoe from the window.

The marking on the pivot shoe are "PATENT 4,610,108". The measurements of the pivot shoe are: 2" tall x 1 1/4" wide x 1/2" deep.

The measurements of the plastic trident inside the shoe are: 3/4" tall x 1/2" wide (at the widest point) x 1/4" wide (at the narrowest point) x 1/4" deep.

The white plastic trident appears to be embedded in the light green plastic box, so I don't think I will be able to replace the trident alone, i.e. I will need the whole pivot shoe assembly.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot shoe - back.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot shoe - front.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot shoe - side.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. Please check out our 15-129 and compare it to your pivot shoe.

Hi Bob: I checked out 15-129 and realized it is the same as my part, less the plastic trident insert. So I decided to try using the pivot shoe with the missing trident. And it worked! I think the trident insert is to prevent the window pivot for slipping out of the pivot shoe when you open the window at right angle to the window frame.

Thanks for the video: it helped me figure out how to reattach the pivot shoes to the balances.
Stephen
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Stephen! Glad to hear this worked out for you. I think this newer balance would work without the trident as well, but for extra security its good to know you can attach the old trident piece if needed. Let us know if you have any other questions, and many thanks for considering our business!

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.