Broken Coil balance and Tilt latch

A home owner from Arizona says:
Hi Swisco
I have 2 problems, broken tilt latch and coil balance.
1- Tilt latch dimension: Length 2 10/16 to 2 11/16 inches, width 11/16 to 12/16 inch, depth 7/16"inch. Not sure what the item # is for RH and LH.
2- Coil balance info:
-dimensions for single hung window length-45 ¼ inch, height 29 ¾ inch, approximate weight 12 lbs. Need item coil spring# to replace both right and left side
-Double Support Detent Clip dimensions:
3"inches top to bottom, width 13/16 inch. Not sure what the item # is.
-Pivot Shoe (Coil Balance shoe?), need correct item #
Question:
I want to replace all the parts, Double Support Detent Clip, coil balance spring and pivot shoe for both right and left side. Is the coil spring attached to pivot shoe or do I have to place it separately? Not sure how that works.
Thanks
Sam
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Detent clip.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tilt latch.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Clip.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot shoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named coil balance.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contact us, Sam. Based on your photos, I recommend our 15-180 pivot shoe, Series 190 coil spring, 15-181 detent clip, 15-182 bushing, and then our 26-243 and 26-244 tilt latches. Look these parts over and let me know what you think.

All pieces that go into this coil balance assembly are sold separately. The spring simply screws to the shoe.

Thank you very much for your help. I did not see where the balance bushings were or where they are to be placed. Is there a video for that and how the spring screws into shoe? Thanks again

Does the bushing go inside the coil spring?

Profile picture of Tom

Yep, the bushing goes over the little posts on the 15-181 detent clip, and then the spring goes over that. It works as a kind of cushion between the detent clip posts and the spring itself, so it doesn't wiggle around. We don't have a video on this, but it's a very simple function.

To be perfectly honest, your existing bushings are probably reusable. They don't often break. 

HiTom,

Since I have 2 posts on the Double Support Detent Clip, does this mean I need to have 2 coil springs that would attach to the pivot shoe? Any pictures or videos that explains this?

Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, that's what that means. We don't have a video that explains how this works, no. It's pretty straight forward. If you have two posts on your clip, you need two springs. You can even see on the 15-181 Double Support Clip product description that it's a cover designed for two coils.

Are both of your old balances missing their springs entirely? You should be able to use the old hardware as a reference for what you need.

Profile picture of Tom

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The number of springs used and the weight of the sash has no direct relation to the Series of the balance used. The Series is defined by the size of the spring and the shoe it attaches to. In your case, since you have the 15-180 shoe, you want the Series 190 spring. No other spring will work with the 15-180.

The weight of the sash and number of springs used is, however, closely related to the Series 190 stamp. If your sash is 12 pound and if it's supported by four springs, then you usually want four 3 pound springs. That's not an option for the Series 190 though, so you can go with two 6 pound springs instead. That'd be our S190-640That also means you want to forget about the 15-181 double clip and go with our 15-186 single clip instead.

Hi Tom,

Another question. Since I have double coil springs on both sides, and the weight of the window is approximately 12 lbs.,is the series 190 coil spring still the correct choice?

Thanks
Thanks!

Hi Swisco,

We replaced one coil spring but not both sides and they snapped and we have to prop the window open now. When we installed the initial replacement,in 2019, it felt like there was not enough tension on opening the window like others in our house.You could open the window with hardly any effort and raise it up as high as you wanted to.

Question-We used the 6 lb spring S190-640. Should we have used a higher weight coil spring, 8 or 10 lbs since the window may have weighed more than 12 lbs?

We will replace both sides this time.

Thanks for your help.

Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I would absolutely recommend replacing both balances in the window at the same time. Springs lose tension over the years from constant use, so an old spring is going to be weaker than a new spring of the same weight rating. When you mix old and new, the new parts have to work double to pick up the slack for their weaker partner, which unfortunately causes them to fail earlier than they would ordinarily.

I also wouldn't recommend increasing the load of these springs unless the sash weight calls for it. If your sash is 12 pounds, then you want one 6 pound spring on each side. If you have any reason to doubt that your sash weighs 12 pounds, then you need to figure out its exact weight before you buy anything else. You cannot guess for these.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.