Broken Corner Key removal and replacement

A home owner from Newton, NJ says:
I was trying to disassemble my window frame and broke the corner key (by the latch). Several years ago I ordered tilt corner keys which were 3/16 by 5/32 (which I assume were the correct size), but I do not see any regular corner keys of that size. Also I do not know how to remove the broken part of the corner key from the channel above the latch. Please advise. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 100_4752.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We may be able to find something that can work, but we'll need a photo of an intact corner out of the window before we can get started. Start by watching the video below, which shows how we remove a similar corner from this kind of storm window. Let me know if you're able to get us a photo of a whole corner and we can work from there!

Hi. Thanks for following up. I do not have those peen holes in mine and I only have the regular corner keys at the bottom by the latches. I have the tilt corner keys on the top. I will do my best to at least get the bottom corner keys out but it looks like I have to do this with the vice/screwdriver/mallet. There seems to be no way to get the broken part by the latch out except for forcing it by hammering the latch itself against it? I'll follow up hopefully tomorrow or Friday. Thanks so much.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That sounds like it might be worth a shot. If it doesn't work, let us know and we can try to come up with another method.

Hi. I got the bottom corner keys out. Long story short I had to break one latch, and had to snap the corner keys - trying to hammer them out in the vice resulted in the breakage. I pried the pieces out the frame and also tried drilling the rectangular dimples with a smaller bit (and inadvertently drilled a hole right through the frame). They seemed to be "weathered" to the frame. The entire window frame is now in pieces. The corner key is aluminum, smooth not stamped. It Unfortunately my repeated measurements show 3/16 x 5/32, and I only find a 3/16 x 3/16 aluminum corner key on your site. And, all I was trying to do originally was replace a rusted latch spring and it went very wrong. So, do you have an aluminum corner key in the correct size? If not, I might just try sawing the nub off a tilt corner key. And, how should I have gone about replacing the rusted latch spring? Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I think I can help. Take a look at the 91-009 latch and 91-102 spring, along with the 95-015 and 95-016 corner keys. I believe these are the parts you need to repair your storm frame based on your photos. These were also popular storm sash parts back in the day and used by many manufactures in the Philadelphia and New Jersey area. Let me know what you think.

Hi. I had previously ordered the parts you mentioned several years ago (which were in fact correct), except for 95-016 which I did not need at the time. When I was about to place a new order recently I was going to order 95-016 but again these are 3/16 x 3/16 - just like the aluminum corner key I found (after seeing my key was aluminum). But the aluminum corner key I have is 3/16 x 5/32. Will a 3/16 x 3/16 still work? And does using an aluminum or the stamped metal variant matter? Thanks. I really need to get those storm windows back in the frame - raining a lot over here the past few days.

I'm afraid I couldn't find a match for the 95-016 that comes in 5/32". It may not matter, but if 3/16" does end up being too much you could try shaving a bit off. I've often done that myself when in a pinch, which happens more and more these days since storm windows aren't as common as they used to be.

I wouldn't worry about the type of metal at this juncture. I think as long as you get something to fit then you should be okay.

Hi all, just to follow up - I had ordered the parts as suggested, including 95-016 and was able to reassemble the storm window - was a lot of work and I did my best to tighten some loose corners afterwards with a vice. Window is in and seems stable enough. Thanks again for all your help.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you got it to work. Thank you for the update and, of course, thank you for ordering with us. If you need anything else, we will do our best to help.

How to replace stamped window corner keys.
How to replace stamped window corner keys.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a window screen latch
How to install a window screen latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.