Broken T-lock for double hung windows

A quick learner from Springfield, TN says:

Hi Folks,

I have a bunch of these little guys that have broken at the hook on the top. I don't know how to tell if they are open or closed cam or if that is a rabbit hole I don't need to go down!

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4018.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4013.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4014.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4015.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4016.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Steve, thanks for writing in. Not to worry; you can tell these are closed cam T-Lock Shoes simply because you cannot 'see through' the metal cam; e.g. it has a back wall. So these T-Lock Shoes match the configuration of our 15-195. However, I'm afraid there's a problem here. Your T-Lock Shoes have a characteristic groove in the stem that configures with a similar groove shape in our existing channel balances. I am afraid, however, that our T-Lock Shoes lack this groove. Therefore, you'd need to replace not only the T-Lock Shoe, but your old channel balances as well. 

The good news is that the 15-195 comes by default with our Series 795 balances, which are the replacement balances you would need. If you need help identifying the right length and stamp options you need, send us the length of the metal channel for each set, as well as a picture of the stamp code on that metal channel. 

Also, how do your channel balances attach to the window track? Our Series 795 balances use a screw-on tab; however some versions of this balance have a hook instead that attaches to a slot in the window track. If your balances have a hook instead, let us see a picture of the hole in the window track where these hooks attach to. That will indicate the best course of action to take. Many thanks. 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your quick reply. Adding new balances increases the price of each repair $10 and I'll have a bunch of them to do, so I'll see if I can find the original T-lock shoes for the repair. Failing that, I'll be back!

Cheers!
Steve
Profile picture of Bob

Fair enough, Steve. Let us know how you make out. Best of luck with your repaiir. We'll be here if you need us! 

Hi Bob,

After some time looking and a COVID-19 delay, I've not found the original T-locks for these windows. The first one I'd like to do is the bedroom window that has 4 spring balances with the code 26C BSI TH and each has a screw tab at the end. I'll need a set of four balances and T-locks for that window. I'd like to get some spare 15-195's as well, since the originals seem to have a lifetime of
Profile picture of Bob

Welcome back Steve. No worries on the delay, believe me, I understand. If the balance's metal channel is 26", if it uses a screw tab, and the shoe is our 15-195, then you are fine just buying our S795-26 with a stamp option of 26C. The 15-195 is the shoe that comes by default with these balances. Spare 15-195 shoes you can of course also buy separately. But both these items you can purchase right through the online store. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.