Broken coil balances and supports

A home owner from Williamsburg VA says:
These windows say "Prism" on the latches. Not sure if these are able to be replaced. Obviously the window just falls down. Looking to identify replacement parts and get a useful installation guide. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. It appears you have Simonton window parts, which have been discontinued recently but I am very confident we have a replacement that would work for you.

You can use either the 15-192 Certainteed pivot shoe or covert your assembly to use the 15-259 pivot shoe.

Should you use the 15-192, you may need to shave the aligners from the front of the shoe. These are compatible with the S170 coil balances and the S171 to be stacked on top.

The video below gives instructions on how to covert your existing coil balance assembly to the 15-259 shoe.

Carefully review both options to see which may work best for you.
Thank you. That is very helpful.

My only remaining question is how to remove the coil balance in order to attach the new pivot shoe. It appears the cut-out opening in the channel is far too small to fit the double coil. Would you suggest a set of "spreaders" or would enlarging the opening be the preferred method?

I appreciate your assistance.

I'm happy to help! You should be able to "snake" the balance assembly into the cut-out.

If you feel that you need to make the whole a bit larger, you will have to use your discernment. However, you'll need to be careful not to make the cut-out too large so that you'll maintain the integrity of the window.

I hope this helps!

Very helpful. Thanks!
Hi. I've received the CertainTeed pivot shoes. When installing, I discovered that the pivot bars on my current windows don't fit in the pivot shoes. I swapped out the metal inserts in the new shoes with the old ones from my windows, but even the plastic opening is not allowing the ¼" pivot bars to fit.

The pivot bars associated with the new shoes do not fit the openings in the window sashes for my existing pivot bars

Can you help me find some new pivot bars that will fit both my sashes and the new shoes? I've included photos of the pivot bars I need to replace.

Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 940E7834-CAEE-44A0-8C44-F18D2804B659.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9EF052DB-D7C1-488E-A32D-97C3762A3C57.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 00189E81-1289-493D-8728-DB34C031E1D1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 931DE528-3A5F-42F7-ACAD-AEEFE5ECAB1A.jpeg

If you have chosen to use the 15-192, you can use our 26-336 as a replacement but you will need to use the old cam from your existing pivot shoe. It will not work with the cam installed on the 15-192.

However, if you have chosen to go with our 15-259, you will need to use the pivot shoe mentioned in the video. It is part 26-083.

Thank you.

In the meantime, I'm using the old cams and have successfully widened the opening in the 15-192 (with the side of a ¼" drill bit) along with shaving some bits off the side. Not pretty, but it worked on one window! Now on to three more.
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.