Broken coils and coil support

A quick learner from Southern maryland says:
I ordered 2 pivot shoes from Swisco they were correct 15-192 they match the broken ones perfect
The coil springs S170-406 incorrect
Certain teed balance drum 15-157 incorrect
Certain teed lance spring cover 15-156 incorrect
1/2 inch coil double support incorrect
Please look at my picture and let me know if you have these parts , I am returning all of the incorrect parts
Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0260.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Just letting you know we're looking into this and hope to have an answer for you soon. Please bear with us a little longer.

Profile picture of Tom

We're having a lot of trouble with this one. It doesn't look like your original balance springs are made anymore. Whatever we can supply you will have to be a substitute, assuming we can find something that works.

Before we go any further, you said that the 1/2" thick spring isn't right, but you didn't mention how thick your springs are. Can you tell me that dimension? Can you also tell me how thick the springs and covers are when fully assembled? Basically, I want to get an idea of how much space they take up in the window track.

Here's my logic. If the 15-192 shoe is the right size, as you stated, then the track has to at least accommodate something 7/8" thick. The only logical explanation is that your old springs and the cover, when put together, make up an overall thickness of around (or near) 7/8". Even if they don't, they would still theoretically fit in the track since they are equivalent in size to the shoe. In other words, if our 15-192 shoe fits, then our Series 170 spring and 15-156 cover should fit, too.

If they don't fit, then I'd like you to go into detail on why exactly they don't. Is there some obstruction, or some groove in the track that prevents them from installing in the same track as the shoe? Is there some detail getting in the way? Please be thorough.

Thanks for the help Tom

The balance springs are exactly 1/2 inch

Fully assembled with cover 3/4 inch thick , any thicker than that when sliding the window up and down the window tilt mechanisms will hit the covers I have uploaded a photo

Thanks

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0263.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0264.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0267.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see. So the tilt latch is the culprit. It all makes a lot of sense now. Most window manufacturers install coil balances just under the minimum height of the tilt latch for this reason. Would it be possible to do that? You'd have to drill a new screw hole, but as long as it's under the tilt latch then I think you could still get the Series 170 spring and 15-156 cover to work. I've done it myself when this was an issue, though never with your exact type of balance.

Great idea, instead of 2 covers and coil springs for each side 15-156 cover, 15-157 drum, S170-406 coil springs . Since the coil springs are thicker can I get away with 1 set on each side
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good to me! I was happy to help. Please let me know how it works out, or if you had any other questions. And, of course, thank you for your business.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.