CHANNEL BALANCE FOR OLD DOUBLE HUNG WOOD WINDOWS

A home owner from Westchester, Illinois says:
Greeting Folks; Hope this mail finds you well and with plenty of Spirit.
Please see attached photo's.
I am considering 2 possible replacement Balances that might be a fit your;

21" Series 800 Channel Balance [Qty 28]
S800-21 $29.57
option: 20B

16" Series 800 Channel Balance [Qty 6]
S800-16 $28.39
option: 15B

*These are currently in my Cart and awaiting your advisement.
*I am proficient with Handyman skills, and any modifications to the Windows would be available.
*I Do Not want to replace these Windows as they are on a Vintage 3 Story Building built in 1962-63, and have been well cared for.

These would fit into an Aluminum encasement with tracks for upper and lower Window, three additional tracks for upper and lower Storm Windows and a Screen.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_E3397[1].JPG.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_E3397[1].JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but, unfortunately, your assembly does not look like a match to the S800 channel balance. If you could show us an undamaged balance removed from one of your windows, including detailed photos of both ends and any numbers stamped on the channel, we can go from there. Thank you. 

A home owner from Westchester, Illinois says:
What I sent as photo is all I have. The photo's can be enlarged by your viewing device to see details. Look, I my intention is to place a large order with you even if I have to improvise a solution using your product which is the closest match I've found.

Do you have a Rep in the Chicago Suburb area of Dupage County?
Can you send a sample of the;

21" Series 800 Channel Balance
S800-21 $29.57
option: 20B
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

It sounds like you are describing aluminum jamb liners with a balance system behind the track. Unfortunately, this type of system is no longer made. I believe your best bet would be to remove one jamb liner and take it to a local millwork to have them fit you with new-style jamb liners. 

If you want to keep your jamb liners, you could try using our 3/8" thick S400 spiral balances with the 17-031 brackets. It might work, but it will be difficult to install. With the bottom sash held up, you would slide the balance tube up into the jamb liner and attach it at the top of the track with a 33-012 screw. The spiral will twist down to the sill, so you'll need to bring the spiral up to meet the 17-031 bracket attached to the bottom of the sash. 

Then, hook the 75-005 charging tool to the spiral and give the spiral about three turns clockwise. You will feel the tension build and then you can hook it to the 17-031 bracket. Do the same on the other side and try the sash. If the creeps down, give the spiral another turn. Review these parts to see if you might be able to adapt them to work for your window repair. 

A quick learner says:

I am looking for a sample, purchase if necessary, to retrofit a Balance that I have been in discussion with your Experts who received a photo, and a response to further inquiry. I have not heard back. This may work for my windows. I will have 48 windows to repair. With a total of 84 Balances needed.Unfortunately I can not find any of my EMAIL regarding this subject. Can you help me solve this? 

Can I send you a sample?

Full name: Michael 

Balance length: 21

Balance stamp: 3/8 inch round

Balance color: black

Quantity: 1

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Balance 2.JPG
Profile picture of Paul

Unfortunately, we cannot supply samples of our balances but you are welcome to purchase the S400 spiral balances that we mentioned on January 16th to see if you might be able to adapt it to work for your repair, although we can't make any guarantees. 

A quick learner from Westchester, Illinois says:
Thanks for the advice. I also believe that your Spiral will serve as a retro fit. This is the closest I have been to a solution in years.
I will order a sample of your recommended.
If it works I would need (90)21 inch and (12)18 inch as the Kitchen Windows are smaller.
Big pay day for you folks.
Hope it works.
Be Well my friends! Stay Gold.
Profile picture of Paul

Great, we appreciate your business and look forward to hearing how the repair works out for you. 

Paul, Folks,
Thank You for your Expert advice. Hope this mail finds you well and in happy Spirit.
The balance and accessories suggested above worked out just fine.
So, I request, or forward this request for a Quote;
Qty [80] 20B 20 inch
Qty [56] 16B 16 inch
Qty [16] 22B 22 inch
Qty [16] 24B 24 inch
*Plus T14 Bracket and screws for each Balance.
Profile picture of Paul

That's great to hear! Since the balances that you used are stock parts, you are welcome to order more of the S400-20, S400-16, S400-22, and S400-24 spiral balances directly on our website. You will also find bulk discounts shown on each product page since you are ordering larger quantities. You can also add the 17-030 brackets 33-012 screws to your order from our website. 

Thank You for your expert time.

Be Well!and Stay Gold!

Semper Fi

Michael 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.