Can I use the 795 channel balance instead of the 765 channel balance?

A home owner from Bridgewater, NJ says:
Hi,
I have Silver Line Series 2900 windows. The stamp on the channel balance is 26-5 and the channel measures 27". The 765-27 channel balance looks like it would work, however, the balances I have do not have the little "hook" at the bottom as shown on the website. The balance I have actually includes the 1-1/4" T-Lock Balance Open Cam shoe (nearly identical to part #15-195B).

I was curious to know if I can use the 795-27 balance, but I'm not sure what option to pick since they are identified with letters and not numbers. The 26-5 weight range is 17-23 lbs which spans both the 27C and 27D weight ranges.

One other question, even though I have the open cam shoe, can I get away with using the closed cam shoe that already comes with the 795-27 balance?

Thanks!!
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. It definitely sounds like you have a Series 795, not the Series 765. We see different stamp code systems for balances than what we have from time to time. What you'll need to do is obtain the exact weight of the window sash that uses these balances. On the shop page for the S795-27, look under the product description. You'll see a table that shows the weight ranges for each stamp option; once you know the exact weight of your window sash, you can use that table to choose the correct replacement stamp option. 

It would be best to use the 15-195B Open Cam, if that's what you have. These are sold separately, but the video below shows how to replace them; it's a very simple process. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

A home owner from Bridgewater, NJ says:
Thanks for the reply, Bob. I'll figure out the weight of the sash and then determine which would work best.

One more question: I know I need to replace the shoes since they are broken (see pic as an example). But how do I determine if the balances need to be replaced? I attached a pic for reference, if you can tell anything from looking at it. Windows are a little over 13 years old and I've got at least 8 of them that need new shoes, just not sure if they also need new balances.

Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5FFACD94-1E8D-428C-B244-085989490A51.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 18914E38-2DB5-4948-9A73-134948A73495.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B00F7188-4FAA-4F2F-B8FC-CD9A9745B629.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0E9E19EA-E620-4E59-88CD-3AC03CC91B10.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to me. Do you have any undamaged shoes you can pair with the balances? If so, I think the best thing to do would be to assemble some of the undamaged shoes with your balances and test them installed. If the sashes don't lift at all and can't stay open, then the balances in fact have to be replaced. Otherwise, you could get away with just using the 15-195B to replace any broken T-Lock Shoes.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.