Can the 39-389 work for a window from 1961?

A home owner from New Jersey says:
Hi, I need to replace my Andersen Roto-Operator on 3 awning windows. The arms are about 15" and the existing one looks very similar to product number 39-389; however, I'm almost positive these are the originals, and the house was built around 1961.

I found "8-60" in small print on the glass. This product states it is for windows made after 1981. Any idea if this will work?

If I'm replacing the whole unit, I don't see why it has to be exactly compatible with the window. If it's not compatible, can I return them?

Thanks, Mike
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Mike. Thanks for posting. I'm not so sure if the 39-389 will work or not, but it could with a little revision. To be more certain, though, could I see a few pictures of your existing operator? That will give us a better idea of what we're working with.
A quick learner from New Jersey says:
Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. Attached (I hope) are 5 pictures showing various angles. I understand the trim piece of wood that sits on top of the operator probably wouldn't fit perfectly on top of the newer operator, but perhaps I could buy a replacement trim piece. This doesn't have to be or look perfect; I just want something that allows the windows to crank open and close without too much hassle. Thanks again. Mike
User submitted a photo of a window operator.
A quick learner from Nebraska says:
I actually have the same question. Our house was built in the 60's and has original windows. All our windows are Anderson awning operators but they were installed vertically. I've attached files, would these be interchangeable with this series? The measurements seem to be similar.
User submitted photos of awning window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Great, thanks for the images, both of you. I think our 39-389 is the closest thing we'll have to this hardware. I think it's a good match, but you might have to recut the bottom of the wood sill cover for it to fit properly.
A quick learner from NJ says:
Mine is definitely the same one as the Nebraska photos. I don't mind recutting the sill cover. Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. Mike
A contractor from Chicago, il says:
Hi Mike,

I am facing the same situation on a remodeling job. Wanted to follow up and see how the modification to the bottom wood sill cover went to accommodate the new SWISCO 39-389 operator
unit. Any issues with the modification/install?

Regards,

Russ
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.