Casement window crank will extend window but not retract it

A home owner from Duluth, MN says:
These seem to be K K casement windows. Crank handle seems ok, I have some spares and they exhibit same problem. The gears inside the plastic housing seem worn. The metal is very soft, I found them packed with a very thick grease which I cleaned out for photos. The screw in the handle is a typical threaded that engages one or the other sides of the gearing teeth depending on direction of travel.

I would like as complete a replacement as possible. If this window can be restored to service I will need an additional 10 sets of replacement parts. I have owned house for 2 years. It was built in 1979. This casement type is very popular here in the Duluth area.

Thanks,
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A0956B84-82CC-40C7-A8F6-C88B6048D2D4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7D00DC33-28FC-4C63-B1A2-C6ADD5F692F9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B09702F7-5801-4A88-BA5E-5CCEBE86D938.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6D409939-61C8-49F7-92F2-84BAF77E5FC3.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

A complete replacement is necessary for this kind of damage. We can help but we'll need to see more of the operator. If you could manually open the window so that the arms that move the sash are fully visible, that will help us narrow down your options. Thank you! 

I hope these help.

Thanks,

Rob 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E4BFC4DF-605A-46EF-ABF7-CEB57AA8F326.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 914CFCF6-C325-40CE-A711-19649B19F979.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F6D0460F-ADCC-4AB4-B5FA-4C9AE403C712.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

Great, take a look and compare the 39-031 and 39-032 EntryGard operators to yours, paying close attention to the length of the shorter link arm. Thanks for posting! 

Dear Casey,

39-031 looks correct. The length of the flat connector which is attached to the window frame is 3.75". The stamped part number is 20810.

Having trouble loading photos. Hopefully this is enough info.

Rob 

Profile picture of Casey

In that case, you may want to consider the 39-155 and 39-156, which has a slightly shorter link arm shown below. 

Dimensions for 39-155
Dimensions for 39-155

I'll try the 39-155
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.