Certainteed vinyl casement windows

A home owner from Pittsburgh, PA says:

I am in need of new hardware for a Certainteed Casement window installed in my home circa 1992. Windows are approximately 25-28 years old and look as new as the day they were installed. Except for one on the weather side of my house where all the hardware has rusted shut, or in a few areas, rusted away to nothing. Window will fall completely out and to the ground below if I crank it out past more than an inch or so. Attached are photos of the hardware from an identical window.Can you help? Thank you most kindly. Phil

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named g.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named e.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named d.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named c.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named b.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure thing, Phil. It sounds like you need a new operator. The one in your photo specifically is a match for our 39-036.

Look over the information we show on the 39-036 store page and let me know if you had any questions.

Will do and thank you.

BTW...I seemed to notice that while cranking the window outward it actually seemed to push straight out and wanted to fall away and downward as if it were off the base rail/track altogether. It was all I could do to grab it with my other hand and keep it from falling. Could that be a possibility that would require new lower and upper tracks as well? I am not against relacing all the hardware components. But I'd need to knww exactly what all makes up the actual working mechanisms that are attached to the raw vinyl window.
Profile picture of Tom

It could be, but I'm not sure. That may still be an issue with the operator. An easy way to confirm would be to disconnect the operator altogether and try to manually open and close your window by hand. If it still hangs up, then it's reasonable to say that you need new hinges. I would recommend the 36-048.

If it operates completely fine, though, then replacing your operators ought to fix the issue.

Understood. So, along with the operator and hinge, would there be any other hardware part I should replace for maintenance sake. Or would these two parts cover everything needed to get that unit back to like new, as far as the hardware goes?
Profile picture of Tom

If those are the two parts that broke, then that's really all you need. For anything else, you'd have to carefully go over your window to see if anything is obviously broken or malfunctioning. These kinds of things are taken on a part-by-part basis.

Perfect. I'll order the operator and the hinge and take it from there. Luckily I have and extra window to use as a go-buye or even a donor if I need something that's not available. Just wanted to keep it as much intact as possible for instances just like this. Thank you again for your expert and timely advice. I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes.
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.