Channel Balance

A home owner from OK says:
Hello,

This channel balance is 29" long (actually 29 1/8"). Channel width is 1/2". The number 2830 is on the channel. I will need to replace this and I'm not sure which part I should order. It fell out of the sash since the pulley/spring system no longer works. Thanks

William
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P1020927.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P1020936.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P1020940.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P1020941.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P1020933.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. See our S390-29. Your stamp option of 2830 is for a window sash in the weight range of 16 through 23 lbs. Let us know if you have any questions. 

Thanks for the quick response. I will place the order. I was watching the instructional video, but my windows do not have any take out clips that would catch the channel balance. None of the windows in our house do, but it appears the holes are present in the frame. What is the process for this type of window? Or are clips simply missing and should be in all windows? Thanks
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

If the holes for the take-out clips are present in the windows and look very much the same as what's shown in our instructional video, then see our 16-002 Take-Out Clips. You can use these during removal and replacement of the balances throughout your house. For installation instruction of new clips, see the video below.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's possible your take out clips are missing across the board. With that in mind you may want to purchase those as well. The instructions Bob posted should tell you everything you need to know.

As a temporary measure, you can drill a hole and then use a small screw on each side of the window. If the screws stick out a little, they will work the same way as a take out clip. You'd then simply remove them when you're done.

One thing to note about the S390-29 is that it comes with a 15-001 shoe. You may want to make sure the size of this shoe matches yours. It looks close, but something tells me that your shoe may be a little bigger. Carefully go over the 15-001 dimensions and let me know if they differ in any way. We'll see if my hunch is right.

Thanks for the info on the clips. Previous owner must have removed all of them.

As for the measurement of the shoe - it is exactly 1 3/16 versus 1 1/8 15-001 has(so yes, it is bigger). All other dimensions are the same. Does this mean I need to order a different channel balance or do I need to custom fit a shoe by removing the existing and riveting the new shoe? What is the impact if installed shoe is just a bit narrower? Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I thought so! Good to know my eyes are still sharp after all these years. So, let's talk about what we can do.

See our 15-003 bottom nylon balance fitting. This also has a depth of 1-3/16". I think this might be better for your balance. If you want, you can purchase our S390-29 and our 15-003 separately, then drill out the 15-001 off the balance and install the 15-003 yourself. This process isn't too complicated but it can be a little involved. We have yet another tutorial video that walks you through the process, in fact. You can see it at the end of this post.

Your second option is to let us simply make it for you here in the shop. This would be a custom order. The price won't be too much more than the S390-29. If that's what you want to do, please let me know how many balances you wanted to buy and I will email you an order link and price quote for the requested quantity.

As for whether or not you can use a more shallow shoe... ehh. I don't think you want to do that. I personally don't like to do it. Your balance will probably be loose in the sash and the window will jiggle when operated. It's definitely something you don't want to opt to do if you have the option, 'cause a wobbly window will drive you nuts after a while. From a technical standpoint, it may even eventually cause the balance to wear out faster since it's constantly moving around in the track.

Ultimately, it's up to you. Let me know whatever path you decide to take and I will help you in any way I can.

Finally, here's that video I mentioned:

Thanks. I will opt for having this custom made. I would need two of these with the custom fit shoe. Would you please send the link ? Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

You got it! I'll email it to you right now. Thanks for considering us for your business and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks. Just placed the order!
Profile picture of Tom

Great, let us know if you have any questions once you receive your order. Thank you!

How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.