Channel Balance

A quick learner from Los Angeles says:
I am looking for a channel balance 16" long. It has a stamp 1620 on it. The width is 1/2" I am not sure about the top and bottom attachments. The bottom is definitely broken, and I have no other pieces from it.

The sash weight is 8 lbs.

Can you help me identify the correct part numbers?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210701_224037.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210701_224056.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210701_224236.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210701_224323.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20210701_231304.jpg
I forgot to add that it is for a non-tilt aluminum window.
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

It looks like you have either our S351-17, with a 15-002 bottom attachment, or S390-17, with a 15-001 bottom attachment. Take a look at the image below to determine which balance you'll need. You'll also need a spring strength option of 1620.

When measuring your balance make sure to only include the metal channel in your measurement. Your stamp is "1620" which means your metal channel should measure as 17".

If you have any further questions just let us know. 

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
The channel balance is only measuring 16". I thought the 1620 stamp was more of a reference for the spring tension. Should I be replacing the 16" channel balance with a 17" instead? Would that fit the window?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If the stamp on your balance is 1620 then the metal channel should be 17" long. I can't quite tell from the angle of your last photo what the length is for sure, but I highly recommend double checking that.

Assuming that it is 16" long then that means that the installers cut it down by an inch before they put it in. It's uncommon but it does happen, they must have had a good reason for it. If that's the case then you can use our 16" balances but you will have to weigh your sash to determine the proper stamp option; all of the 16" balance stamp options start with a "15," so they would be 1510, 1520, 1530, etc. 

You may indeed need a 1520 but I wouldn't bet on it. You should weigh your sash to be sure. We have a chart on both the S351-16 and S390-16 store page that tells you exactly how much weight each option supports.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.